I will preface this thread with a breif explaination of my senario.
Did a large house, 10,000 sq feet, gave price on chandelier lift, customer thought I was out of my mind, they brought in their freind to do it, they told me he was licensed. No problem I said. Sent a letter to customer stating that I will not be responsible for the wiring of the lift. They blew up. My inspector came in for the rough inspection and failed the install of the lift. I told the inspector that I did not wire the lift. He said he would write a letter to the customer telling them just this and was putting it on the certificate.
Today I had a conversation with my contractor. Went like this...
Joe, my inspector came to look at the job today and said that the wiring that was done by the homeowners electrician is in violation. Needs to be fixed.
Joe says.. tell the homeowner taht you tried to get the job inspected by your inspector, as a favor, but he failed it. Tell them that it made you look like an ass and now he must get this inspected himself, or I can charge you $1000.00 to do the repair and get it inspected.
...What I am doing here is cracking them over the head with an extra...
Joe said... this will make you look like you are on their side and are trying to help them.
He said to me... if you don't play the game you will go out of business... I said I refuse to play games. I just want to run an honest business.
Question is........................
Am I a jerk, isn't honesty the best policy?(to coin a phrase) We can be honest and be good business men (or should I say business people) I beleive I am making the right move.
Right guys... Help!!!