kmtech... It is good that you have asked around. I just plain old dislike your type of panel. I have no knowledge of it failing in my experience. However, if the other two electricians have had bad experienc with them, you should listen. If you don't trust your current electrician's word. Get a second oppinion. You have already done that on here. Your next step would be shopping for price and quality. Please go with a manufacture that has a common shared type breaker. I suggest Cutler Hammer. Square D makes a quality product. However, they are pretty individualized about their breakers. Your electrician will install what he prefers if you just allow him/her the opportunity.
I would like to add. If an electrician feels real strong about something being not so safe, then listen. If I am dispatched to an older home and it has a "Federal Pacific" breaker panel installed, I refuse to do any work within the home unless I am permitted to change the entire panel at the customer's exspense. If they wish not to change the panel, I recommend the yellow pages to find an electrician that will work with federal pacific breakers.