Some research reveals that grant-aid, towards the cost of purchase of 'reducing carbon emissions equipment' , [such as pv panels ], is available in the UK and France as part of Kyoto accord. So it's probably available across the EU.

UK. Grants are available for pv panels, wind generators, hydro, etc. with provisos like mandatory additional improvements in insulation, fitting double glazing, auto furnace-controls, etc..
For pv, the grant is £3000 per kWp, up to a max. of £15000, but not more than 50% of the installed cost.
http://www.lowcarbonbuildings.org.uk

Not available in the IOM or the Channel Islands, and not available retrospective of existing purchases.

France. A very much simpler sheme, [ for a country so in love with dossiers and bureaucracy!]. Simply purchase/have fitted any energy/CO2 saving device - loft insulation, double glazing, condensing boiler, geothermal heating, pv panels, solar heating, wind turbine, closed wood-burning stove, etc., and get between 15% and 40% of the cost (less labor) knocked-off next year's income tax, on production of a receipt; pv attracts the 40% remise. Receipts are simply stapled to your annual tax form. Mine went in last month!
If you pay little or no tax, they send you a cheque instead! [Linked Image]
The wood-burner counts, because the CO2 comes from a resource renouvelable

I'm off down the Hotel des Impots [tax office] tomorrow to see if I can get a cheque for the 200 sq metres of rockwool I just put in the remodel! [Linked Image]

Alan

Wood work but can't!