CEE 7/7 for 230V systems and NEMA for 110V systems.. Those *ARE* the international standards. I don't know what the IEC was up to! We didn't need another weird 230V plug system.

I would be infavour of introducing a new version of "schuko" as the international standard.

Identical to a schuko socket in every way except one.. a short protruding pin (like french outlets). On the new version I would insist on polarity being observed. i.e. manufacturers would have to mark terminals clearly on the back of the socket fittings.

CEE 7/7 plugs (rapidly replacing prevoius national standards already) would fit it perfectly.

While I know polarity isn't a big deal, given the design of European-type appliances. It would allow countries wishing to adopt the new CEE 7/7 standard to retain / introduce polarised connectors.

Also, I would simply outlaw the installation of existing French / Schuko outlets within the EU. The new harmonised outlet would replace them. Likewise, the manufacture/sale of schuko/french plugs would be made illegal. The new system would replace them.

(BS1363 countries would remain exempt due to ring mains issues)

Problem solved without loads of incompatability!

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 01-11-2006).]