I'm finding conflicting information about the application of buck boost transformers.

Most of the vendor web sites state that a common application for buck boost xfmrs is to boost 208 volt power to 230 or 240 volts.

However, i have also read "Buck-Boost xfmrs cannot be used to create a 240/120 volt single phase service from a 208Y/120 volt three phase service": the reason cited is that "unbalanced line to neutral voltages will result - one will be 120 volt and the other 130+ volts".

I interpret all this to mean that i can run a 240 volt motor or heater directly from such a setup where the neutral is not even connected, but that hooking up, say, a residential clothes dryer would be bad since it probably needs to derive a 120 volt control voltage from that neutral.

So since my manager asked me to do just what i describe above, it seems to me it would be reasonable to open up the appliance and hook up the buck boost xfmr just ahead of the heater coil, and then plug the appliance into our 208/120 power. The nameplate on the dryer actually says "240/120 OR 208/120" but the manual says that drying performance might be unacceptable on 208 volt power.

Having typed this, i seem to have answered my own question (please correct me if i'm wrong), but the new one is, can someone recommend a textbook or reference manual on this subject? I'm going to take a certification test soon; transformers, power factors and such have always been one of my weaker areas.

Thanks!