Hello,

Found your BB today. Lots of information here so I figured this would be a good place to maybe get some answers.

Will try to keep it concise. :]

First off, I'm 41 and live in the state of Alabama. After HS I attended and graduated from a local trade school and got a diploma from a 2 year course in HVAC. Then I went to work at a local plant as an AC Technician.

The HVAC schooling taught me a lot of Electrical for troubleshooting HVAC equipment, so naturally (with the aid of the resident Electrician) I started doing electrical work not directly related to the HVAC equipment in the plant. Eventually (after 2 years) I filled his shoes at the plant when he left (for a better position). The guy was sharp and taught me a lot.

Well, since that first plant, I've been an "electrician". I've never needed a Journeyman or Master's Licence to get and hold a job. All I've had to do was show the head of maintanance what I could do and was hired. My primary strength is electrical conrtols (PLC and relay).

I've come to a point where I'd like to become a "real, certified, licenced by the state," Electrician who can do residential side work. In our state a licence is not required if you work outside of the city limits.

I want to be able to do good work anywhere I want.

What I'd like to know is is there a way for me to become "legit" without having to enroll in a full time 4 year aprenticeship program? Like a study program? Sally Struthers mail order deal? :]

Excuse my ignorance, but, since I started working almost 20 years ago I've worked mostly alone. I don't have elctrician compadres to tutor me on this subject, so any info would be a help. Those that I've asked in the past always seemed tight-lipped about the subject.

Thanks.