I asked one of our Visitors from 'Across the Pond' to help us out here a little. He wasn't able to post himself (I think I forgot to mention the Registration part - oops!)I hope he'll try again if time permits.

OK First reply to a chat room - ever! What's been written so far seems fine. We work on 230V live to neutral in the UK. Most homes have a single phase supply providing this for all appliances. Some older, or bigger homes have two or three phases. This presents special problems when working to the Regs. with regard to electrical separation - i.e. you can end up with two phases at a light switch and 415V between them. Regarding appliances, if you want to run something from the UK over there, I'd suggest a transformer to change from 110 to 230. This will be OK for resistive loads, but if it has a chip in it or a synchronous motor, your 60HZ will not suit the 50HZ appliance. We have the same problem when students come over here to Sheffield University. They try to run their kit from home and when it doesn't work, they act like proper students and go to the pub!

Jim Fulton
jf@jfulton.com