These lights were put in about 20 years ago, by general contractor whose expertise was in cement work. Suffice it to say that he has provided me with a steady source of income....

The zinc (or aluminum) Bell boxes are badly corroded. Concrete is alkaline, as is our soil, and those materials are quite vulnerable to alkalais.
The poles, being 2 1/2" Rigid, have not corroded at all.

Among the details not visible:
- That plastic plbg elbow coming in the side is part of a short length, covering but the last foot of UF. The UF is buried maybe 6" down. MAYBE.
- In the bottom of the box is a 12" rigid nipple. This shields the UF as it passes through the block, and on to the next light.
- Yet another piece of UF goes out the right. That piece is cast into the concrete, until it passes out the bottom of the block, and turns to enter the bottom of the post. Finally-
- There is essentially no wire to work with in the box.

When new, these blocks were flush with the ground. Then sod was added. Growth over time has meant that many of these blocks are completely under the grass.

I believe the plumbing el was used to make a smaller target for the lawnmower. Not to worry; it has still been hit, and the pipe broken at the block!

What this place has taught me is:
- Cut a hole in the side of the pipe, and use a PVC sweep to pass the wire through the block, and into the pole. Then you have a chance of replacing the wire;
- Use a proper handhole at the base of each pole for your splices; and,
- Make sure your wires are deeper than the gardener can dig with one shovel scoop.