I don't think running the secondary this far would be practical. If you run the primary up to the house and meter at the bottom of the hill you are going to need primary metering. I think if you add up the cost of all the medium voltage equipment needed (metering, switching, over current protection and transformer) you will be better off paying the utility to do it. I don't know what the rules are in your state but in many places the first person to build a home in an new area gets to foot the bill to install the utilities but when someone else decided to build they must pay a share of the bill so the utility should give you a partial refund. Also keep in mind that anything you install ever fails the utility will not make the repairs. One possibility would be to step the 240V from the utility up to 600V at the bottom of the hill and then back to 240V just before it gets to the house. Doing this would allow you to use much less copper and would not involve installing any medium voltage equipment.

Curt Swartz