Here's some background. This panel is located in an open sided county fairgrounds building where 4H kids show sheep. Six feet to the left of the panel and you are out from underneath the roof. The white flecks to the left of the panel are staples with little "bits" of paper attached from kids (and probably adults) staple gunning posters, show schedules, etc. to the mounting board. This "rewire" was in response to my request that they repair 40+ year old NM that had significant damage to the sheathing.

To the electrician's credit, he also responded to a concern of the fair board of circuit breakers constantly tripping during the fair, because of overloaded circuits. So... his response was to put each receptacle on its own dedicated circuit. Hence... the massive number of wires coming out of the top of the panel.

I have continuing concerns about the adequacy of this installation. Here in lies the rub. I am an "OSHA" inspector (OK let's not get off topic here with OSHA bashing!) and this installation passed the electrical inspection. I'm not bashing the electrical inspector, because he works for the same agency I work for... but, I'm at a loss to explain how this would comply with the NEC as I understand the applicable sections. And to make it perfectly clear... I am aware that Article 334 allows NM to be installed in "exposed" work.

I don't want to taint anybody's opinion about what I think the violations are, I'd just like to know what the group thinks about this type of installation practice. Am I being too picky? This has ramifications beyond this particular building. I find similar installations frequently in the buildings I inspect. All of the buildings that I inspect are owned by the government (State, County, Local).

One of the other issues that comes up in the long run is... once an installation passes final, then the only (and I do mean only) person that might look at the equipment in the future is going to be someone in my position. The only other electrical inspection that ever happens in any building after a final is when there are significant alterations that require the pulling of a permit. Until that point, the installation can rot in place until a safety inspector happens to come by and finds an serious hazard that may have existed for an extended period of time.

OK. Enough of my soapbox background discussion. Comments? Ideas? Concerns?

- Glenn (safetygem)
[Linked Image]