Hammer drills: It depends on the job. I have 3 hammer drills. A Dewalt 1-1/2" spline type I use for 7/8"-1-1/4" solid bits and up to 6" core bits.I paid around $500.00 for it. I also drive ground rods with it as well as use a bull point and a chisel for demolition. I've been extremely pleased with it over the last 4 years. My second hammer drill is a Porter Cable 7/8" SDS. I paid a little under $200.00 for this one. It is a lot of hammer drill for such a light weight tool. It is real handy for 3/8" to 7/8" anchor setting, especially if you are working on the ground. My #3 hammer is a Porter Cable 14.4V driver/drill/hammer with a 1/2" chuck. This one cost less than $200.00 and came with 2 batteries, charger and a flashlight. This is an extremely versatile tool and is the one that gets the most day-to-day use. It's great for setting tapcons when hanging conduit in a concrete or block building. All together, I've got around $1400.00 in hammers, spline and SDS bits, arbors and cores. This seems like a lot at first, but I spent $1500.00 on rental the 2 years prior to buying my own spline and SDS outfits. That doesn't count the down time I lost running down a rental tool or waiting my turn to rent one.