In my mobile home I have two ceiling fans installed like this except they are wired with verrrrry long lamp cords, wrapped with chains. One stopped working and tripped a breaker. My parents think that since the A/C kicked on and my mother plugged in her 1800 watt blowdryer into a 15 amp circuit feeding half the house surged the fan and shorted it out. (I have this in another fourm. As soon as I remember the web URL.) Let's see, how does that story go?
Oh yeah! I was working on my traffic light, and had to move it. It's an aluminum model next to an outlet! (The outlet in this story.) I was moving the light, which bumped the 3 way gem tap in the duplex outlet. (The top half of the duplex didn't work, only 0.001 volts. Unswitched) I said, "Hmm. Why did the lamp go off? Ohh? Stupid outlet! Uhhhh..." I plugged the triplex in, and "CLICK, OFF!" My mother said, "What the he*l happened!?!" My dad is sleeping on the couch at the time. I said, "Who wants to bet the breaker tripped!?!" Next day me and my father replaced the dead duplex receptacle. That old fan is still hanging on the ceiling. One more thing, is wiring a ceiling fan to a cord legal? I don't know, but I don't think so...

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?