I am the AHJ, but that is only a small part of my duties being the only EE over a multi-state area for the federal government and yes I inspect many Hazardous (Classified)Locations along with Resi/Comm/Indust.

I took and easily passed all 3 IAEI Electrical Inspector tests on the same day. The only reason I took the tests was to keep my mind sharp by giving myself this requirement. I have since let my certifications per IAEI expire (it had no value for me once the tests were passed). I never got certified with our states when they began to require such about a year later, I am exempt (the federal government has their own certification program). The Federal Government does not keep track of these individual certs, and defer to me for electrical as I am the expert in this Region (geographical area).

I could pass the tests without having the foggiest what I would be looking at in the field. This to me is very sad and I feel practical experience (in some form) should be required. As such I have tried to work in the field with the electricians I supervised at least once each year; it is their opportunity to train me, while I can judge directly the work they do; and then attend IAEI and state trainings when possible.