I think what you are seeing is a small part of a pre-manufactured electrical room. I believe all the new Wal-Marts use them. The room is built in a factory(usually in a couple sections) and then "dropped in by crane where the footprint of the electrical room is. The electricians work off of a cutsheet to know exactly where the panels and associated equipment will "fall" to allow for conduits to stub up in the appropriate panels. The "electrical room" is 80%-90% wired as far as subpanels and MCC's etc. off the main and all lighting and receptacles are piped and wired. All the electrician needs to do is bring power to the appropriate box and turn on the breaker.As you can see there are "windows" the the conduits need to hit. You can see in the picture that all the conduits were cutoff at a point and extentions where put on at a later date. They have to cut the holes for incoming conduits in the panels after the unit is dropped in place. I am not defending this install. They had the right idea but fell just slightly short in my opinion. They make a PVC bell bushing adapter for conduit entry that would have alleviated the problem we see here. End result is a neat install with a "wire-friendly" entrance to the panels.

[This message has been edited by elektrikguy (edited 04-25-2004).]