ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#215847 07/28/15 07:13 AM
4 Images
L
Solutions AS2601

I found it and then ran my PC through it for some time...until, one day (while unplugging a portable radio), a casual bump resulted in a momentary short between active and neutral, resulting in a bright flash (but fortunately nothing more dramatic) and tripping the house circuit breaker. Thankfully, I had brought both of the Arista SPB 1s home by then, so used one of them as the replacement.

Incidentally, there's been a recall of this power-board (or possibly a newer revision). At https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1063847 is a 4-outlet version, and there have been several other similar recalls at around the same time. So I take that this is a store-branded product (not that all store-branded items are crap, of course, although many are).

I then took a second unit that I found home to destroy it (with a hammer). I thought to do a crude flame-test on one fragment of the casing using a match, and it was at least self-extinguishing, although I didn't test for ignition of tissue paper. (I could try again using the first unit, though, if you want me to.)

Note that warning on the back, and also the circuit breaker (pulled from the second unit after smashing the casing) - talk about globalisation! grin
Last edited by LongRunner; 07/28/15 08:38 AM.
16 Comments
Basically the case looks very similar to the vast array of cheap stuff(nice word) that is being imported and widely available here in the US.

Trying to find a 'quality' power strip is getting harder. Even a few supply houses are stocking this kind of stuff.

John
L
Well, I did a bit of further flame testing. The falling particles didn't ignite the tissue I used (which burned rapidly when directly ignited).

Which isn't too bad of a result, but maybe the unscrupulous Chinese manufacturer switched to a more flammable plastic mid-production run? rolleyes

G
The quality of commercial power strips is starting to make those field assembled "1900 box with 2 duplexes in it" things look more attractive. Using the right cord grip and a decent cord cap makes them almost legal anyway.

Greg Fretwell
I agree with that Greg.

It's interesting that they have 'junk' on the far side of the globe too!!

John
G
It is not strange. China is one of their biggest trading partners. I think the quest for a low price has filled the world with barely adequate equipment.
China is capable of building some real nice stuff but they build to the price point of the customer.
We should just demand more and we might get more. Maybe the NRTLs should add a quality rating to the standards. Something could pass the minimum standard but still get a low quality number.

Greg Fretwell
Greg said..."China is capable of building some real nice stuff but they build to the price point of the customer."

Yes, there is some quality items from the producer countries, and there are items that are barely acceptable. The 'price point' is what gets to me.

Seems to me that in one 'big box' home improvement chain, the selection of 'brands' in the electrical & lighting sections is reducing to a 'house' brand, with the 'trade' familiar brands vanishing from the shelves. It's the same in the other 'big box' competitor.

Seems that the 'price points' on the items that I would prefer are replaced by 'off shore' items with the same price, and IMHO reduced quality.

What say you???

John
C
I am always on the lookout for the older quality power strips. I always pick then up at the thrift store when found

I like the all metal cased ones with a lighted switch and a separate circuit breaker that is not integrated into the power switch as the newer China made ones are

The only thing I can think bad about those strips is that the outlets (Which are regular wall box style outlets) are only held in place with the center screw which in modern code is a no-no also those receptacle ears are a pain to break off on anything but the $0.59 outlets

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
The 'single screw" supporting a duplex receptacle mounted to a faceplate was acceptable for a long, long time. Yes, there were many that were 'loose' or totally unsupported, then the code change came along.

John
G
I was working for Appleton when that change came along.
I forget how many thousands upon thousands of surface coverplates for mounting receptacles in 1900 boxes that we had to scrap because it was suddenly illegal to use them.

Ghost307
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard