by Vlado
09/24/16 09:33 AM
breaker meltdown
by crselectric
09/24/16 12:42 AM
Electrical mast flashing product
by ThomasWinfrey
09/22/16 12:14 AM
What estimating software do you recommend?
by sparky
09/21/16 07:20 PM
"Dry Run" Inspection goes awry
by HotLine1
09/20/16 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm² flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 15
sparky 9
gfretwell 8
sparky66wv 8
Vlado 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 322 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199457 - 02/26/11 05:46 PM Pigtailing vs. Wiring-thru normal outlets
pooL8 Offline

Loc: BC Canada
What do you think?

Should pig-tailing be mandatory in all situations?
Or not?
Why?

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#199459 - 02/26/11 06:09 PM Re: Pigtailing vs. Wiring-thru normal outlets [Re: pooL8]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
There is no compelling need. The receptacles are listed for feed through. I'm sure if you look at the various cycles of the ROP you can find more elegant defenses of the current code on this.

#199462 - 02/26/11 07:18 PM Re: Pigtailing vs. Wiring-thru normal outlets [Re: gfretwell]
KJay Offline

Loc: MA, USA
Nah. The way things are going, it’s probably just matter of time before we have push-in, quick connector blocks for all splices anyway.

#199464 - 02/26/11 07:46 PM Re: Pigtailing vs. Wiring-thru normal outlets [Re: pooL8]
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
The Ideal splice they are talking about is advertising this is perfect for "prefab" boxes. We may be buying boxes directly from China with the devices already installed. Snap them around the framing, push the wires in the splices, shove it all in the box and snap in a "button". Off you go.
The only tool you need is the one you strip the wire with.
Maybe they will come out with one that strips the jacket and both wires in one step on a 12/2 or 14/2 Romex
Scary huh?

#199480 - 02/27/11 01:32 PM Re: Pigtailing vs. Wiring-thru normal outlets [Re: gfretwell]
KJay Offline

Loc: MA, USA
Yeah Greg, when those things become the norm, all those AFCI’s they made us install may actually come into their own. I think that is what they refer to as anticipating the need. laugh

#199482 - 02/27/11 02:35 PM Re: Pigtailing vs. Wiring-thru normal outlets [Re: pooL8]
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
IMHO, the method installed (pigtail or feed-thru) is the installers option & choice.

Some of us prefer to pigtail at each location, some of us may be looking for that 'little labor & material cost reduction'. As there is no mandatory reason to pigtail in all situations (Yet), the choice is the installer.

Personally, I pigtail.

#199496 - 02/27/11 09:29 PM Re: Pigtailing vs. Wiring-thru normal outlets [Re: HotLine1]
sparky Offline

I spent some quality time studying splices and connections as an apprentice.

In fact,i still do, especially if there's something new out there

bottom line, you get a quality connection/termination/circuit/install, if you spend quality time

that's something the nec just can't legislate

~S~

#199502 - 02/27/11 11:27 PM Re: Pigtailing vs. Wiring-thru normal outlets [Re: sparky]
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
Could one of you guys please define the term "pig-tailing" for an out of towner?

#199503 - 02/28/11 01:40 AM Re: Pigtailing vs. Wiring-thru normal outlets [Re: Trumpy]
frenchelectrican Offline

Loc: Wi/ Paris France { France for ...
Sure I will be glad to describe what the pigtail means and I will be using the Euroepan terms what some area we will call takeoff spices or leads

This is only a example what typical North Americiané verison look like but for other area it is pretty simauir to this.

Not only we do that on small conductors but we do in large size conductor as well but useing diffrent methold to spice or pigtail larger one as well.

Merci.
Marc

#199505 - 02/28/11 04:26 AM Re: Pigtailing vs. Wiring-thru normal outlets [Re: pooL8]
Texas_Ranger Offline

Loc: Vienna, Austria
In Austria or Germany I never pigtail unless I encounter a seriously overfilled old-work box, for a very simple reason: box fill doesn't allow me to have any kind of connectors AND a device in a regular dephth 58mm box. If I have some old masterpice with more than 2 cables I don't have the coice, I have to pigtail because modern receptacles won't take more than 2 wires per terminal. I'd say that's a grey area then. In Germany it's worse since the standard box there only seems to be 40mm deep instead of the 50 we have in Austria. Deeper boxes exist, but are very rare, at least in Austria (haven't seen them in shops yet, except one very expensive electronics retailer with mostly German stock). Those 50mm deep boxes are barely enough to take a Schuko receptacles and 6 4" long 2.5mm2 conductors. Getting 9 1.5mm2 conductors + connectors + pigtails + receptacle in there is a major pain.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals