ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
pooL8 Offline OP
What do you think?

Should pig-tailing be mandatory in all situations?
Or not?
Why?

G
There is no compelling need. The receptacles are listed for feed through. I'm sure if you look at the various cycles of the ROP you can find more elegant defenses of the current code on this.

Greg Fretwell
K
Nah. The way things are going, it’s probably just matter of time before we have push-in, quick connector blocks for all splices anyway.

G
The Ideal splice they are talking about is advertising this is perfect for "prefab" boxes. We may be buying boxes directly from China with the devices already installed. Snap them around the framing, push the wires in the splices, shove it all in the box and snap in a "button". Off you go.
The only tool you need is the one you strip the wire with.
Maybe they will come out with one that strips the jacket and both wires in one step on a 12/2 or 14/2 Romex
Scary huh?

Greg Fretwell
K
Yeah Greg, when those things become the norm, all those AFCI’s they made us install may actually come into their own. I think that is what they refer to as anticipating the need. laugh

IMHO, the method installed (pigtail or feed-thru) is the installers option & choice.

Some of us prefer to pigtail at each location, some of us may be looking for that 'little labor & material cost reduction'. As there is no mandatory reason to pigtail in all situations (Yet), the choice is the installer.

Personally, I pigtail.

John
S
I spent some quality time studying splices and connections as an apprentice.

In fact,i still do, especially if there's something new out there

bottom line, you get a quality connection/termination/circuit/install, if you spend quality time

that's something the nec just can't legislate

~S~

Could one of you guys please define the term "pig-tailing" for an out of towner?

F
Sure I will be glad to describe what the pigtail means and I will be using the Euroepan terms what some area we will call takeoff spices or leads

[Linked Image from realtor.com]

This is only a example what typical North Americiané verison look like but for other area it is pretty simauir to this.

Not only we do that on small conductors but we do in large size conductor as well but useing diffrent methold to spice or pigtail larger one as well.

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

T
In Austria or Germany I never pigtail unless I encounter a seriously overfilled old-work box, for a very simple reason: box fill doesn't allow me to have any kind of connectors AND a device in a regular dephth 58mm box. If I have some old masterpice with more than 2 cables I don't have the coice, I have to pigtail because modern receptacles won't take more than 2 wires per terminal. I'd say that's a grey area then. In Germany it's worse since the standard box there only seems to be 40mm deep instead of the 50 we have in Austria. Deeper boxes exist, but are very rare, at least in Austria (haven't seen them in shops yet, except one very expensive electronics retailer with mostly German stock). Those 50mm deep boxes are barely enough to take a Schuko receptacles and 6 4" long 2.5mm2 conductors. Getting 9 1.5mm2 conductors + connectors + pigtails + receptacle in there is a major pain.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard