ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 431 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
To my discredit, I have not attended any classes in the NEC, although not for lack of want to. When You get back to Bensalem, I want to go. Alot of what I do I kind of "grow" into, and wind up on a steep learning curve (read: straight up). Most of my problems with the NEC comes from a lack of familiarity, but there are places that I think could be written a little clearer.
Is what I am saying, is that I need a handbook?

Thanks for your patience.

TW

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Yes, the NECH will be helpful.

An electronic version of the handbook is also available.

Again, please clarify this statement:

but there are places that I think could be written a little clearer.

Please give me some examples ....

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Joe:
Recently I "filled in" for an instructor who had a heart problem at a local Vo Tech School. I had his course plan, and had no forseen problems. I'm certified as an instructor for Electrical Trades, and NEC; also an EC and a P/T AHJ. (Not blowing my own horn, just a little backround)

The point that I stressed to the guys in the class was not to "learn" or try to memorize the NEC, but learn how to find what you are looking for.

Fortunatly, the guys in the class "wanted" to be there, and that was an enormous help.

There are some people who can recite the NEC as they "instruct" it full time; I'm not knocking them, just that I believe that guys should know "where to find" what there looking for.

And, I have to agree with Harold again, respect should be a two way street!
John

John
S
Bob,
Yes i come on strong, frustration of having to deal with the obvious in the real world vs. those who would turn thier back to it content to debate the inane doesn't help.

Joe,

Is there a need to digress into specific example to make the point?

isn't this entire BB testimony to those who seek clarity in the NEC?

or do your students simply get it the first time?

sparky:

Yes! Trainwire made a statement here, and I want to see what he has to say so I can help him understand the code.

It would not be the first time that a new user of the code sees the rules in a different way than those of us who have some knowledge of the rules, and why they are in the code.

This board is open to anyone who needs help and Yes some of my students do get it the first time, and others are not so quick to learn -- that's the way of the code and the way we have to deal with it.

John

Fortunatly, the guys in the class "wanted" to be there, and that was an enormous help.

And, I have to agree with Harold again, respect should be a two way street!

This is really the key to the success of any student who wants to learn this game, and become a scholar of the code!

I can appreciate the "emergency call" you had to answer, and always being prepared is the best way!

Can we talk a little about course outlines that are typical for the classes that are presented to teach the code?

A fellow instructor I know starts his discussions with Section 310.15 in the Code.

Yes, some people have the code memorized and can cite the rules immediately, and that's a good sign, better than when someone yells out in class, and says something that is all wrong!

I
By Joe Tedesco
what would we do without the NEC?

Job pricing would be uneven between the contractors that do a safe and workman like job and the hacks that will make it work for a buck.

For those that frequent this web site and take pride in their workmanship it would be hard to compete with the handyman that will wire that pool (or whatever) for 1/4 of the price and still make money.
Easy for him to do without the knowledge of safety, only that "white and black make it go".

I think all we have to do is look at the pictures at Violation Photo Forum to see what many people are capable of with the NEC in place; I think it would only get worse without the NEC and enforcement.

By Joe Tedesco
Do most of you have the National Electrical Code Handbook?

I am waiting for the electronic version to arrive.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 02-24-2003).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
L
Why must the code be written in "philadelphia lawyer"? --- Trainwire

Because it is written with the intent of it becoming a legal document, which is the reason for all the "shall's and must's" and other imperative verbs in the text. I believe Art#90.1(c) states "Intention. This Code is not intended as a design specification nor an instruction manual for untrained persons." However, Art#90.4 states, "This Code is intended to be suitable for mandatory application by governmental bodies exercising legal jurisdiction..."

Len

H
My thanks to any and all who agree with me. As I was saying, I find that there is usualy 3 sides to any story. My side, His side, and the truth which is somewhere in the middle. I also try to pride my inspections on a little know chart that I found in Joe. T's book, "Basic Checklist for Building Electrical Inspections". I don't know how many people have seen that chart, but I think that it is very easy to follow.

E
I have just retired after 28 years of teaching apprentices.

In my opinion, one cannot learn the code, in the same way that one learns a concept or principle.

My approach was to help the students learn how to use the code. How to use the table of contents and index, which sections are basic, and which are ammendatory or supplementary, how exceptions affect rules, which rule/subrule the exception applies to, that kind of thing.

I found that students had a very difficult time with code rules if they didn't first have a sound knowledge of the system or equipment that the rule/rules applied to, including the basic theory.

Ed

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard