ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 433 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
E
Mike, I think that those trees appear to be closer to the lines than they really are, I'm pretty sure it's an opticle illusion, of course it could be an artificial one.

I'm with most of you, I don't buy it at all

edited to add, you can see te sun setting on the far horizon, but those trees aear to be lit up from a light source near the foregroud... hmmm
-Will

[This message has been edited by Elviscat (edited 12-31-2006).]

L
LK Offline
Mike,

We do have trees that close, but did anyone notice, there are 2 sets of transmission lines, i must be the only one that thinks it's ligit, lamp should not glow with low Kv, but those lines may be at a much higher level, also they are not on towers, a bit lower then a tower, NY State has some transmission lines, that can make a cow dance 200ft from the lines, farmers did not have happy cows like cal has.

Interesting point Les,
also they are not on towers
345kV gives a lot higher line distance from the ground than is shown in the picture.
One other thing is the span seems wrong, it was either very hot that day when the pic was taken, or the PoCo under-estimated the sag in the double-wire conductors.
Also at any voltage above 66kV, wooden towers and posts become useless.
Un-economic and unsafe.

I
You guys are amazing.

Not one of you has been there but have all the answers.

As far as the press I agree....never believe what they say.

But If I understand you all correctly both the Fire Department and the electrical inspector must be in cahoots with this HO in order to pull a fast one.

I don't pretend to know what is going on but this is no 'hick' town with a volunteer FD. This Town is close to becoming a city and the FD is a very professional full time organization.

On Monday I should have time to check this out in person....doubt I will walk onto this persons property with a lamp but I may be able to get a better picture of the distances.

Let me ask this.

What would be the FDs motivation to close off the building if they did not find something odd?

As to the $300,000 that is high if that is the money spent only on building this home as the press leads us to believe.

In this area that house with it's property should market for about that value.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I
If you want to see a good overhead shot of this area go to Google Maps in the search field enter 225 Lindsay Street, 02760 and hit enter.

Once the map comes up look in the upper right and click on Satellite

Once that loads you can pan and zoom at will, you will plainly see the cut for the power lines and if you zoom in you will see both metal towers and large wood towers.

Now, I am not sure how recent the photo is so I don't know if the house in the story is actually in the picture. However you can see how there are no trees over the power lines and how close at least some home are.

At least one set of lines has existed in that cut for many years, however the power company has recently added more sets of lines.

So...Yes the power company can say the lines where there first and the HO can say they just built the lines. Both are spinning the facts.

If I seem less than caring about National Grid keep in mind this is the same company that said humans had nothing to worry about when live manhole covers where killing pets because humans don not walk around bare foot.

So National Grids Press people will say anything to try to cover their rear side.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
R
I think here is some s$#% stirring going on.

Firstly i don't believe that guy with the fluro tube.
He is not standing near or under those lines, i think the photo is doctorred somehow.

Also during the building of the house you would expect the builders getting shocks already of steel pipes, roofing material etc.

HT power lines have usually easements around them. If people are stupid enough to build to close, or underneath, that is their problem, not the POCO.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
I
Unbelievable, the people on the site apparently know less than the arm chair quaterbacks..... [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Bob,
I don't pretend to know what is going on but this is no 'hick' town with a volunteer FD. This Town is close to becoming a city and the FD is a very professional full time organization.
I take real exception to that comment!. [Linked Image]
Having been both Paid and Volunteer as a Fire-Fighter, IMO the Volunteers are more professional than the Paid ones.
At least the Volunteers don't Moon-light!.

BTW Bob,
Our Hick Town Volunteer Brigade done 406 Calls this year, as of mid-night.

{Edit to correct call number}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-05-2007).]

You are looking at the shadow of the tower in the link I posted. The tower appears nearly vertical and looks white. Here's an old pic of the same line about 1/2 mile away.

[Linked Image]

Bob, I don't see where anyone suggested you live in a "hick" town, that they have all the answers, or that there's a conspiracy. You are the first to bring up the subjects.
Nobody's denying that there's some electricity there.
Does the whole neighborhood get shocked (looks like there's even a pool)?
How can he expect a final inspection when the house isn't complete?
Do doorknobs shock when they're in the package, or do they wait until they're installed and the owner's broke? He did all the work himself, and never noticed a thing or made a mistake?

I think everyone involved is at fault if for no more reason than poor planning, a series of unintentional mistakes were made, and everybody's gone into disaster control / embellishment mode.
Time will have the answers.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard