In reference to the first part of the above link:

This article was prepared by the former quality manager of FPE, who is a consultant to the company, in cooperation with other knowledgeable persons.

Sorry, but my cynical viewpoint is that anyone associated with FPE is hardly going to be candid/objective about the problems with the product, especially the quality manager.

I've done a lot of digging on this topic, both because of what I've read here on ECN and with (admittedly limited) first-hand experience with FPE breakers. Have seen a few stab/buss failures, a couple of 20a single-pole burnouts and one case of failure to trip resulting in burned out wiring. (30a DP feeding a xenon power supply.)

In terms of overall numbers of problems in relation to total number of FPE's out there, sure the issues have been a low percentage. But since electrical systems tend to be pretty reliable overall, how many breakers with "FPE-itis" are merrily feeding circuits, with the failure to trip not being found because there have been no shorts/overloads on said circuits?

If it gobbles like a turkey, and struts like a turkey....it's a turkey. See also Zinsco.

With all that said, as far as the original question is concerned, I would simply advise the H/owner that there have been some issues with the FPE panels and breakers, and that it would be in thier best interests to upgrade or, if possible (I'm thinking here that there would be some unoccupied time during move-out/move-in) maybe send the breakers to a rebuilder for testing. Not sure that would be cost - effective though.

Really, unless the house is a McMansion, a service change would be but a small fraction of the total purchase price, right? Cheap insurance IMHO [Linked Image]

edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 10-02-2005).]

Stupid should be painful.