I got a call to look at correcting a home inspectors list on a realtor's sale. One line item the inspector mentions is the FPE panel. What do you guys do for these? The HI (Home inspector)'s job is to normally raise an issue and then say "have qualified electrican make recommendation". Basically saying "This doesn't look good, but I'm not qualified to know for sure".

What can I do but offer up facts?

The equipment passed standards at the time of installation.

Most people would agree (myself included) that there is more of hazard present with this panel in your house than with a different brand.

I can't say that the this panel specically is a hazard or not. I can recommend it be changed, but other than that I can't say it a manditory change like I could for an NEC violation.

First question: Agree or disagree with the above? Any additions?

Second question: If I recommend and don't require replacement, do I then obstain from the small repairs to the panel like replace exposed romex etc.?

Problem is, she's a friend of my Mom's. Regular customer and I say, "must be replaced if I touch it". Don't really care if I am helpful or not in their eyes (care if I'm helpful, but less concerned of if they think I'm helpful) but when it gets a little tricky, don't want to come off the wrong way.

Thanks for listening, typing this has helped me think this through. Still interested in comments.