ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 174 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#39689 07/01/04 02:36 PM
I
Eagle, Glad I do not work for you. [Linked Image]

I am off now, till 7AM Tue.

Friday I made a deal for (compensation for travel), Monday the whole company has off paid, just because the forth of July is on Sunday.

It would be a mutiny if we where not given the Monday off paid.

They even give us two days paid for Xmas and new years when those holidays are on Tuesday or Thursday.

To each their own but I expect my paid days off for holidays no matter what day they happen to fall on and I would simply move on to a company that provided that. [Linked Image]

All that said, the company knows if the 'S' hits the fan on a holiday they can call me in and if I am sober [Linked Image] I would come in.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#39690 07/01/04 08:01 PM
E
Oh Eagle. I am biting my toungue. By the way is this legal?

#39691 07/01/04 09:25 PM
E
Yes, it is legal. Companies are not required to give any paid holidays. The past year we gave Christmas, Christams eve, New years day, Thanksgiving day, Memorial day and Labor Day and the 4th of July. Last year the 4th was on a Friday. That's 7 paid holidays.

My employees are very happy. I pay them well and give bonuses. I accommodate them in any way I can. Not 1 person has even hinted at wanting off on Monday. Until I read this thread, it didn't even occur to me that anyone would expect Monday off. Any of them can have the day off if they just ask. I'll even pay it if they want to use a vacation or personal day. My employees understand that their pay is directly related to the company's profit or lack there of. If they go the extra mile, they will be compensated.

#39692 07/01/04 09:38 PM
E
e57 Offline
Now......... What type of work can be done on monday? Most long week-ends you might not be able work anywhere, especially the forth! Most Commercial work sites won't be open... Most residential, will be out of town, if they're not, I don't think they want work going on.

In the past where I have worked the forth, I went home cause the customers said, "What are you doing here?" All except for emergency service calls, I don't think anybody is gonna want to see us, and we don't want to see them.

I hear they have 4 months paid vacation in Germany? No wonder thier products are so expensive. And, no one works Octobetfest, except barmaids.......

Even in Japan they have some holidays where no one works for two weeks! You have to stock up, cause you wont be able to buy anything!

Wait, my Canadian counter-part, soon to be wife, just told me Canada has a long week-end too! For Canada Day / Dominion Day today, and they're off till Monday!

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 07-01-2004).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#39693 07/01/04 10:39 PM
...WE BE WORKIN'!!!.... too busy this time of year not to... I'll rest when I'm dead!!
Gotta pay off those supply houses.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#39694 07/02/04 12:10 AM
My supply house is closed on the 5th also [Linked Image]

-Randy

#39695 07/02/04 04:30 PM
D
Current (punny?) cust. is a gentleman from India.I feel it's my duty as an American to
set an example of our traditions.When he asked if I was working his job on Monday,I said of course not it's a NATIONAL holiday, when we celebrate independence from the Brits
(remember them?)The only way I'd be working is if was in some (then) vacant building that would make the job 200% easier.I think it's creepy, rotten and un-American to make someone work when everyone else is off with their families.No one has, on their death bed,said they wished they'd spent more time at work!!

#39696 07/02/04 04:37 PM
E
If you are workin' just to pay of the supply house you might as well give up. [Linked Image]

#39697 07/02/04 05:18 PM
R
I'll tell you the truth...I never got any paid holidays when I was an electrician.

When holidays came around, you told the boss whether or not you wanted to work. If you wanted to, you worked. If you didn't, you didn't. Never paid though. [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#39698 07/02/04 06:48 PM
G
I'll probably work the 5th. All the family festivities are planned for Sat. All local Fireworks displays will be on Sat nite.Monday will be just another day.

I never worked for an EC who paid for any Holidays except Christmas and maybe Thanksgiving.

Most would give you the option of working or not,but never a paid day off for the 4th.

Russell

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard