ECN Forum
Posted By: Joey D Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 12:15 AM
Is anyone working on the 5th? The guy I work for is claiming " looks like the company wins with the holiday being on sunday". Looking into this more 2 other holidays we normally get are on the weekend and we don't get them. Kinda pisses me off.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 12:20 AM
Call in sick. Theres not a man in the world that can tell you your back doesn't hurt. LOL [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 12:24 AM
Nope! And it was actually a suprise, as in the past, like X-mas eve, we have! Owner is stepping back a bit, and the new PM is calling the shots more, more. So today, when a customer tried to get us scheduled for the day, I had to call him back and say no! Now I get the day to recover from my annual sun burn.....
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 12:53 AM
I've been doing some Saturdays & Sundays lately. I wouldn't know what to do with myself with 3 days off. I'd probably have to face up to the honey-do list.

Dave
Posted By: Nick Re: Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 01:28 AM
Nope. Taking a week and 1/2 off! [Linked Image]
Posted By: andyp95 Re: Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 01:52 AM
3 day weekend.Monday the 5th off.
Posted By: nesparky Re: Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 03:50 AM
What"s a day off?
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 07:39 AM
Already taking Friday through Monday off [Linked Image] Already have the time off approval signed [Linked Image] (& have a copy in case it gets "misplaced" [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: pauluk Re: Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 10:50 AM
Reckon I could get the government to declare July 5th a holiday over here this year?

If all the "minorities" can get off by claiming it's Ramman-Dabul-Azzulluh day or whatever, then I should be able to claim July 4th or the following day in lieu in my support of America. [Linked Image]
Posted By: cavo148 Re: Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 12:03 PM
"Kinda pisses me off."....

Doesn't sound like anyone's going to be a winner at your company. I doubt the employees will be knocking themselves out knowing all their friends are enjoying the extra day off. I'd take the day off and let someone else be the martyr, besides bosses have short memories when it comes to heros.
Posted By: DougW Re: Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 01:36 PM
Yeah Paul, but you guys get "Boxing day" off, don'tcha?

I always thought that was the day we tied in all the conductors at the panel ! [Linked Image]
Posted By: DougW Re: Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 01:45 PM
BTW: Courtesy of the US Government:

IV. DETERMINING THE DAY FOR OBSERVANCE OF THE HOLIDAY
The day set for an employee's observance of a holiday depends on the employee's tour of duty and the status of the day on which the holiday falls. Rules fixed by statute and executive order govern selection of the day.

A. Full-Time Employees. 1. If the legal holiday falls on a:
a. Scheduled Workday. The holiday is observed on that day. Employees who are relieved or prevented from working on the holiday are entitled to basic pay for the number of hours of the basic tour of duty they would have worked if the day had not been a holiday. Employees who are required to work on the holiday would be entitled to premium pay for the hours worked. This premium pay would be in addition to their basic pay.

b. Sunday Nonworkday. Employees observe the holiday on their next scheduled workday.

Here's the source - good luck w/your boss!:
Link messed up - sorry.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache [Linked Image]hzks-u_9EkJ:www.fsis.usda.gov/FOIA/notices/43-03.pdf+Federal+Holidays,+Observance&hl=en

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 06-29-2004).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 10:35 PM
Whatever your choice you will never have that day back. Life is way to short to spend with pliers in your hand.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Working on July 5th - 06/29/04 10:45 PM
As Electricmanscott said....life's short! Stop working about 7:00 PM Thursday, back on Tuesday AM. Oh yeah, my employees have a half day Fri & Mon off.

John
Posted By: 32VAC Re: Working on July 5th - 06/30/04 01:20 AM
I'm getting the 2nd of July off for Alice Springs show day..Next Friday, the people in Tennant Creek get a day (9th July)off for the show, Then as the show moves north to Katherine, the 16th of July is thier holiday to go to the show & finally Darwin has the 23rd off for the same thing. The holiday is only observed in the town that the show is on in for that day only. As for the Americans here in town, they usually have a get-together for the 4th of July celebrations

[This message has been edited by 32VAC (edited 07-01-2004).]
Posted By: sbw010 Re: Working on July 5th - 06/30/04 02:37 PM
Hotline1 - How is that working out for your company?

At my last job we put in about 70 - 80 hours a week on average, and I always thought that putting in your 40 hours by thursday, and taking a three or four day weekend every week would really help prevent burnout. Maybe have two crews, so you would always have employees available for service? Of course that was back when there was way to much work, not too much of that going on down here right now.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Working on July 5th - 06/30/04 08:22 PM
SBW010
Two of my guys are available for emergency situations; part of the deal.

Usually it's the country clubs that have problems, mostly caused by poor planning.

Bless the era of cell phones. WE all take turns being available for weekend/nite/holiday duty, except for Christmas Eve & Day.

Scheduling on my part usually works out, but if need be, we can do 10-12 hr days. Like you said, it's not "crazy", just steady.

John
Posted By: JCooper Re: Working on July 5th - 07/01/04 02:55 AM
My upper management just came back to all the techs that we will be working the 5th, which we all had planned on having off just like they have done in the past, holiday on a weekend you get off either Friday or Monday. All they really did is piss off everybody out in the field. I can assure you that the owner, VP, operations manager, etc will be sitting in their back yard putting back a few cold ones. Moral has been pretty low lately and this is putting a couple of us over the edge.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Working on July 5th - 07/01/04 03:30 AM
We are working on the 5th. And as the owner of the company, I can assure you I won't be "sitting in my backyard putting back a few cold ones." I will be at work just like everyone else. The Holiday is Sunday, not Monday. The cookouts and fireworks will be on Sunday, not Monday. Why should someone get a paid day off just because a holiday has occurred? We give about 5 paid holidays a year, but only if the holiday falls on a workday. It cost alot more than the worker's wages to give a paid day off, you have to consider lost revenue, overhead, matching taxes, workman's comp(yes we pay comp on wages even if you aren't working) all in addition to your wages.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 06-30-2004).]
Posted By: sbw010 Re: Working on July 5th - 07/01/04 04:32 PM
Electric Eagle is definitely right about the extra costs of a paid holiday. It cost alot more than just someone's pay for 8 hours.

But, (My two cents)

A company's most valuable asset are its people. Especially in a service related business. Your employees are the face of your company that all of your customers see on a daily basis. If your employees are happy, everyone benefits. They will do better work, work harder, and they will be your salespeople. And if that means alot of cost for me to give them a day off, In some respects its worth it.

just my $0.02

Stan
Posted By: iwire Re: Working on July 5th - 07/01/04 06:36 PM
Eagle, Glad I do not work for you. [Linked Image]

I am off now, till 7AM Tue.

Friday I made a deal for (compensation for travel), Monday the whole company has off paid, just because the forth of July is on Sunday.

It would be a mutiny if we where not given the Monday off paid.

They even give us two days paid for Xmas and new years when those holidays are on Tuesday or Thursday.

To each their own but I expect my paid days off for holidays no matter what day they happen to fall on and I would simply move on to a company that provided that. [Linked Image]

All that said, the company knows if the 'S' hits the fan on a holiday they can call me in and if I am sober [Linked Image] I would come in.

Bob
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Working on July 5th - 07/02/04 12:01 AM
Oh Eagle. I am biting my toungue. By the way is this legal?
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Working on July 5th - 07/02/04 01:25 AM
Yes, it is legal. Companies are not required to give any paid holidays. The past year we gave Christmas, Christams eve, New years day, Thanksgiving day, Memorial day and Labor Day and the 4th of July. Last year the 4th was on a Friday. That's 7 paid holidays.

My employees are very happy. I pay them well and give bonuses. I accommodate them in any way I can. Not 1 person has even hinted at wanting off on Monday. Until I read this thread, it didn't even occur to me that anyone would expect Monday off. Any of them can have the day off if they just ask. I'll even pay it if they want to use a vacation or personal day. My employees understand that their pay is directly related to the company's profit or lack there of. If they go the extra mile, they will be compensated.
Posted By: e57 Re: Working on July 5th - 07/02/04 01:38 AM
Now......... What type of work can be done on monday? Most long week-ends you might not be able work anywhere, especially the forth! Most Commercial work sites won't be open... Most residential, will be out of town, if they're not, I don't think they want work going on.

In the past where I have worked the forth, I went home cause the customers said, "What are you doing here?" All except for emergency service calls, I don't think anybody is gonna want to see us, and we don't want to see them.

I hear they have 4 months paid vacation in Germany? No wonder thier products are so expensive. And, no one works Octobetfest, except barmaids.......

Even in Japan they have some holidays where no one works for two weeks! You have to stock up, cause you wont be able to buy anything!

Wait, my Canadian counter-part, soon to be wife, just told me Canada has a long week-end too! For Canada Day / Dominion Day today, and they're off till Monday!

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 07-01-2004).]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Working on July 5th - 07/02/04 02:39 AM
...WE BE WORKIN'!!!.... too busy this time of year not to... I'll rest when I'm dead!!
Gotta pay off those supply houses.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Working on July 5th - 07/02/04 04:10 AM
My supply house is closed on the 5th also [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: derater Re: Working on July 5th - 07/02/04 08:30 PM
Current (punny?) cust. is a gentleman from India.I feel it's my duty as an American to
set an example of our traditions.When he asked if I was working his job on Monday,I said of course not it's a NATIONAL holiday, when we celebrate independence from the Brits
(remember them?)The only way I'd be working is if was in some (then) vacant building that would make the job 200% easier.I think it's creepy, rotten and un-American to make someone work when everyone else is off with their families.No one has, on their death bed,said they wished they'd spent more time at work!!
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Working on July 5th - 07/02/04 08:37 PM
If you are workin' just to pay of the supply house you might as well give up. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Working on July 5th - 07/02/04 09:18 PM
I'll tell you the truth...I never got any paid holidays when I was an electrician.

When holidays came around, you told the boss whether or not you wanted to work. If you wanted to, you worked. If you didn't, you didn't. Never paid though. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Working on July 5th - 07/02/04 10:48 PM
I'll probably work the 5th. All the family festivities are planned for Sat. All local Fireworks displays will be on Sat nite.Monday will be just another day.

I never worked for an EC who paid for any Holidays except Christmas and maybe Thanksgiving.

Most would give you the option of working or not,but never a paid day off for the 4th.

Russell
Posted By: iwire Re: Working on July 5th - 07/02/04 10:57 PM
From reading this thread it seems it all depends on the local conditions.

In this area electricians I know expect 7 to 9 paid holidays a year along with paid vacations.

I am lucky enough to get at least that plus, 2 'personal' paid days and 3 weeks paid vacation.

The vacations policy is 1 week after a year, 2 weeks the third year, 3 weeks after 5 years. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: Joey D Re: Working on July 5th - 07/03/04 12:34 AM
Maybe the boss reads the forum as I now have it off, paid
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Working on July 5th - 07/03/04 03:51 AM
If you are workin' just to pay of the supply house you might as well give up.
...I take that as being aimed at me...What,you have no bills??,Must be nice,..I guess I should move to your locale..What'ya say,..neighbor?? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Oh,and have a nice weekend...

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 07-02-2004).]
Posted By: zapped208 Re: Working on July 5th - 07/03/04 10:13 AM
Working today,7/3and 7/5 look at jobs on 7/4,maybe. The 4th, christmas, new years, is the only holidays we get off if it falls on a weekday.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Working on July 5th - 07/03/04 11:41 AM
Attic rat I have tons of bills like you and everyone else. What I meant from reading your post was if you are in that deep with the supply house that you have to work everyday and can't even take a holiday that is a shame. Bob sounds like you wrk for a good company that values it's employees. I know guys that work 6-7 days a week, take no vacation and such. And for what? They talk in the supply house like it is some kind of Badge of honor to work ungodly hours. Show me the guy that works 8 productive hours everyday than goes home to his family and leave the work behind. Take the holiday and take it easy. Oh and of coure this is just my opinion. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Working on July 5th - 07/04/04 02:05 AM
My bills are covered .
I worked all day today. (Sat)
I'll work all day Monday.

The helpers and "journeymen" are off.
Posted By: Fred Re: Working on July 5th - 07/04/04 02:53 AM
I normally would not work this Monday, but my dad passed away on 6/15 and that took priority over work for the better part of the 2 weeks surrounding his passing. Contractors sent flowers and cards then but they still expect schedules to be kept on their jobs now. I'm trying to catch up. I wouldn't think of asking anyone to work on a holiday but at the same time I won't criticize anyone who chooses to. Everyone has their reasons that may not be obvious to anybody else.
Posted By: iwire Re: Working on July 5th - 07/04/04 09:24 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss Fred.

My Dad's passing was years ago and it is still tough sometimes.

Bob
Posted By: C-H Re: Working on July 5th - 07/04/04 10:15 AM
e57,

Nah, the Germans don't (yet) have 4 months of vacation... But it is true that Americans work more than Germans.
Graph here These are official figures. The real figures are probably higher in all countries.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 07-04-2004).]
Posted By: aland Re: Working on July 5th - 07/04/04 05:13 PM
Anyway guys whats so special about July 4th is it somthing we should all be aware of!

Only ah... joking.. ah honnest !!!

You all have a good day take it easy whether your at rest or hard at work, God bless you all and take good care.
Posted By: sparky Re: Working on July 5th - 07/06/04 01:25 AM
Nobody ever....on thier death bed.. said....

'Gee, i wish i worked harder'

~S~
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Working on July 5th - 07/06/04 01:35 AM
Now here's the kicker....
After enjoying 4 days of being lazy, I gotta get motivated to work again tomorrow! [Linked Image] Back to the rat race! It was fun while it lasted [Linked Image]

-Randy
© ECN Electrical Forums