ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 113 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#31476 11/29/03 09:34 AM
Trumpy,
A torch? Would I call it a flashlight?
My first job working for a "real" electrician involved lots of work with wire early on.
I spent about a month straightening out the shop and coils of #12 TW wire. It used to come in a cardboard box, and if a guy grabbed the wrong end and started pulling, it would birdsnest and tangle terribly. I'd fix it, they'd send it back out, and they'd wreck it again.
By the end of that period, I knew all my colors...this is black, this is red...and not much more.

#31477 11/29/03 11:40 PM
M
It's interesting to see that Trumpy mentions that the Robertson screwdriver is only available from the suppliers where he is.

Here in Canada they are sold everywhere including the hardware shelf at the grocery store.

I guess that because they were invented in Canada they are more common in use. I can almost tell if things were made in Canada or the US by the screws that were used. Robertson on Canadian goods and Phillips for US made products.

#31478 11/30/03 12:49 PM
E
Hey Hydro....I was born and raised in Winnipeg!! I too can attest that the Robertson is a far superior screw to the philips and flat head screws used in the United States. Heck, you could drop your screwdriver with a robertson screw on it and the darn thing wouldn't even fall off. I miss those things. Instead I will struggle with the antiquated screw types here in the US.

#31479 12/01/03 12:40 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
I must say, since using the Square Drive (Robertson) screws, I've grown to dislike Philips and Slotted screws, they just don't have the same grip as a Square Drive screw and like Eletrikguy said, you can drop your screwdriver and still have the screw sitting on the end of the driver when you pick it up, try that with other types of screws. [Linked Image]

#31480 12/01/03 12:56 AM
R
The first shop I worked for used square drive. In addition to what the others have said, one other nice thing is that the other trades don't carry a square drive, so they can't mess with your stuff, like removing a box that is screwed to the wall.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#31481 12/02/03 08:28 AM
P
Trumpy,
A torch? Would I call it a flashlight?
Yes. British English strikes again! [Linked Image]

Robertson screws have yet to put in an appearance in this part of the world. Most screws used in building work these days are Pozi-Driv. It looks similar to Philips at first glance, but with a slightly different shape in the center and extra, small flutes midway between each of main slots.

Philips screwdrivers don't fit properly, so a set of Pozi-Drive screwdrivers is essential nowadays.

#31482 12/02/03 11:13 PM
C
Pauluk: It seems I am the only electrician in Calgary that owns a Pozi-Drive screw driver. Knowing the difference between Pozi-Drive and Philips makes a big difference.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard