ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Basic Tool Kit? - 11/23/03 02:57 AM
Over here, with the hiring of new Apprentices(if we can get them!), there is a need to define what basic tools a new entrant to the trade should have in the way of basic Hand Tools.
There was a list passed around over here a while back, but it seemed like too few tools, here is what we had as a start:
  • Linesmans Pliers
  • Diagonal Cutters
  • Long Nosed Pliers
  • A decent set of screwdrivers, if Insulated, all the better.
  • A 10" Crescent
  • An 8 metre Measuring tape
  • A Wall-board saw
  • Automatic Wirestrippers
  • An Electricians Knife
  • A Square Drive (Robertson No.2) Screwdriver.
  • Some type of Solenoid Voltage Presence Indicator.

Does anyone think that there should be more on this list than what I have here?.
Or is there anything on the list that poeple feel shouldn't be there?.
Your ideas please.
Is there a basic tools list used in the US?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: dougwells Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/23/03 03:07 AM
Hammer and wood chisel ,Electricians tool pouch

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 11-22-2003).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/23/03 03:32 AM
Hacksaw
Pouch for Staples/Screws etc.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/23/03 03:36 AM
Don't forget the black insulating tape!!!!

That no-contact voltage probe with the end that glows as you get it near a live conductor?
Posted By: pauluk Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/23/03 12:37 PM
A power drill and bits for wood, metal, and masonry.

A least a couple of files: Flat and round.

A decent multi-meter, not just a solenoid voltage tester.

In the U.K., Pozi-Driv screwdrivers as well as flat and Phillips.
Posted By: sparky Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/23/03 12:51 PM
whatever can fit in my bucketboss, which serves also as a parts tray, trash can, lunch bucket, as well as a step stool...
Posted By: DougW Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/23/03 03:14 PM
Trumpy - just reviewing your list - seems like a good start. Here's my $.02

Linesmans Pliers (get the Klien or Ideal with the fish tape puller slot in the back of the head)

Diagonal Cutters (get the Klien 2000 series - they're hardened to cut nails and such - if you only use 'em on Cu, they'll last forever!)

Long Nosed Pliers

A decent set of screwdrivers, if Insulated, all the better. (Or a good quality 10-in-one set, with extra tips, like the below mentioned #2 square drive)

A 10" Crescent

An 8 metre Measuring tape

A Wall-board saw (get a good one, not the cheap-o wood handled version, unless you're into sharpening blades)

Automatic Wirestrippers

An Electricians Knife (or a good utility knife and sheath - buy a brand name - stay away from the plastic $.99 specials, and avoid the cheap "made in Taiwan" blades)

A Square Drive (Robertson No.2) Screwdriver.

Some type of Solenoid Voltage Presence Indicator. (get the one that has the continuity tester integrated. Saves time tracing lines during installs)

Additional items-

Fish tape? Maybe only a 50' to start.

A pair of (8"? 10"? Whatever the "middle" size is) channel-locks - I've got the ones that resemble the Knipex Cobra head - there's a notch in the jaws to grip pipe more effectively.

A Klein or Ideal conduit fitting / conduit reamer equipped screwdriver (for those of us running stick). Also handy if you're using a hacksaw, instead of pipe cutter.

Auto-strips are nice... when they work. (My dad never could get his Ideal one adjusted correctly) I've gotten more use out of the Klein "all-purpose" wire tool (the little one) that strips 10-22 awg, has cutters, crimpers & pliers, and can cut/clean threads on 6-32, 8-32, 10-32, and 10-24 screws. On the other hand, my foreman swears by the Ideal T-series, and our boss still uses dikes (Diagonal cutters). Personal choice, I guess.

I second SvenNYC's call for a non-contact voltage detector. Saved me from more than a few "energizing" moments...

Carpenter's pencils, a medium point permanent marker, and a lumber crayon. Nothing like making a mark during a rough-in to confirm what (and where) your journeyman told you to install.

(as mentioned in another post) (Good quality) kneepads, leather gloves, safety glasses, and a hardhat.

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 11-23-2003).]
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/23/03 06:20 PM
Fishtape??
Power Drill??
Hard Hat??
Safety Glasses??
Black Tape??

These items should should be company supplied.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/23/03 06:50 PM
1/2" and 3/4 benders
Posted By: DougW Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/23/03 10:12 PM
The class I took gave the following tools during, and after completion of the class IIRC:

2 (cheap *ss) screwdrivers
Klein wire tool / pliers
DMM
Craftsman 4-plier set (dikes, slip-joint, channel-lock, needlenose)in safety orange
Linesman pliers (regular kind)
Klein electrician's hammer
100' Klien steel fish tape
electrician's knife
non-solenoid voltage tester
set of 8 Wiha 10Kv insulated srewdrivers (nice!)
Roto-split mc/ac cutter
Craftsman electrician's pouch
25' Stanley Tape measure
1/2" EMT bender (w/o handle)[good call Ryan_J]

As I said, it's just my $.02 - I'm also used to working for small (<5 man) shops, and I inherited a bunch of tools from Dad.

I'll agree that any (corded) power drills or saws should probably be supplied by the company, but what if somebody else grabs the last roll of tape? As the newbie, you'll either get sent to pick up more, or get yelled at for not having any - even if it's not your fault. Better to be the one still working when the discovery is made.

(BTW, if you use your roll of "personal" tape, my foreman will just let me re-stock from the box when the boss brings another box by)

And yes, the company is legally required to provide safety equipment like hard hats & glasses - but having a backup never hurt, and I'd rather show up ready to work than have to wait for the super to scrounge "Parasite Larry's" old tobbacco juice encrusted hard hat out of the gang box or the back of the van.

We all know it's tough (and expensive) as an (-F-N-G-) apprentice to properly outfit yourself with quality tools, but I think we're offering our additions to the "basic kit" Trumpy posted more as advice than requirements.

I'm sure we all carry a lot more than the basic tools nowdays, hmm?
Posted By: mostwanted Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/23/03 11:31 PM
what about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3158661691&category=20598

good stuff? or just duct tape? or snake oil?
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/23/03 11:31 PM
I agree with you Doug. We all have an infatuation with tools so we all have more than the basic. I recently switched to a LARGE electrical comapany.(In the top 50 in the US) I was taken aback when they have 1/2,3/4 and 1 inch benders as part of the tools list. They also are adimant that NO tools will be locked up and they take no responsibility for any tools. The electricians look like sherpas carrying in their tools in the morning and lugging them out at night. Otherwise a fantastic company.
Posted By: DougW Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/23/03 11:46 PM
Elektrikguy - will the let you team up with another wire monkey and leave a gang box on site? It might be worth it if your insurance'll cover it... if only in sweat equity.

(Of course, if they're worried about maintaining a "clean" work site, you're shot...)
Posted By: electure Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/25/03 12:56 PM
For commercial, not 1 but 2 pairs of channellocks.
There's nothing much worse than a compression type fitting, or a piece of rigid that's been tightened with 1 wrench.
I'll bet I can take apart more than 50% of the ones I find in the field with my bare hands...S
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/26/03 12:18 AM
I think we got off track... he was asking for tools to be used by NEW apprentices.

An honest list of tools used by new apprentices would list picks, shovels, sledge hammer (for ground rods), broom, wire pulling gloves, and pipe benders.

(Only after a couple years do you get to actually connect anything!)
Posted By: mvpmaintman Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/26/03 01:37 AM
One small and one large set of fold up allen wrenches. Threade reamer like the multi size Klein one.

I think the Bucket Boss is a great idea.

Along with a $3.97 Homer Bucket from the Home Depot. LOL
Posted By: drgnz23 Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/28/03 10:03 PM
a fluorescent bulb repair kit and conduit stretcher.....thats what they told me when i first started, Great bunch of guys that i had to work with!
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/29/03 02:48 AM
There's no way an aprentice needs to have his own; power tool of any kind, any benders, fish tape, and black tape??!!

These are ALL contractor items. Most everything else mentioned I agree with including a battery drill if HE chooses. Any power tool is the responsibility of the boss.
Posted By: sparked Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/29/03 03:43 AM
A volt tick?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/29/03 05:34 AM
John,
I agree with your comment. [Linked Image]
When I first started as an Electrician's Apprentice I was handed a Broom and a cleaning cloth.
I never even saw a roll of cable for the first 3-6 months of my apprenticeship, let alone install any.
And when I started my "time" as a Line Mechanic, I was handed a Can of White Paint and a 4" Paint-brush to paint the lower 5 foot of every power pole, on the corner of the roads in town here. [Linked Image]
BTW, I'm just talking the bare minimum of tools here.
Things like power drills and so forth are usually company supplied, over here, unless you work for a real mean person.
I mentioned the Robertson Square Drive, because these screwdrivers have become a necessity here, Builders use these screws for everything and it also saves homeowners from tampering with your work, to a small extent, where they would not normally own one of these screwdrivers and it's only Trade outlets over here that sell them, as far as I'm aware.
I'd also add the following tools:
  • Hacksaw
  • Conduit/Capping Cutters
  • Good Calculator(You know the kiddies can't work things out in thier heads anymore)
  • Decent Torch
Posted By: electure Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/29/03 01:34 PM
Trumpy,
A torch? Would I call it a flashlight?
My first job working for a "real" electrician involved lots of work with wire early on.
I spent about a month straightening out the shop and coils of #12 TW wire. It used to come in a cardboard box, and if a guy grabbed the wrong end and started pulling, it would birdsnest and tangle terribly. I'd fix it, they'd send it back out, and they'd wreck it again.
By the end of that period, I knew all my colors...this is black, this is red...and not much more.
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/30/03 03:40 AM
It's interesting to see that Trumpy mentions that the Robertson screwdriver is only available from the suppliers where he is.

Here in Canada they are sold everywhere including the hardware shelf at the grocery store.

I guess that because they were invented in Canada they are more common in use. I can almost tell if things were made in Canada or the US by the screws that were used. Robertson on Canadian goods and Phillips for US made products.
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 11/30/03 04:49 PM
Hey Hydro....I was born and raised in Winnipeg!! I too can attest that the Robertson is a far superior screw to the philips and flat head screws used in the United States. Heck, you could drop your screwdriver with a robertson screw on it and the darn thing wouldn't even fall off. I miss those things. Instead I will struggle with the antiquated screw types here in the US.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 12/01/03 04:40 AM
Guys,
I must say, since using the Square Drive (Robertson) screws, I've grown to dislike Philips and Slotted screws, they just don't have the same grip as a Square Drive screw and like Eletrikguy said, you can drop your screwdriver and still have the screw sitting on the end of the driver when you pick it up, try that with other types of screws. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 12/01/03 04:56 AM
The first shop I worked for used square drive. In addition to what the others have said, one other nice thing is that the other trades don't carry a square drive, so they can't mess with your stuff, like removing a box that is screwed to the wall.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 12/02/03 12:28 PM
Trumpy,
A torch? Would I call it a flashlight?
Yes. British English strikes again! [Linked Image]

Robertson screws have yet to put in an appearance in this part of the world. Most screws used in building work these days are Pozi-Driv. It looks similar to Philips at first glance, but with a slightly different shape in the center and extra, small flutes midway between each of main slots.

Philips screwdrivers don't fit properly, so a set of Pozi-Drive screwdrivers is essential nowadays.
Posted By: crash Re: Basic Tool Kit? - 12/03/03 03:13 AM
Pauluk: It seems I am the only electrician in Calgary that owns a Pozi-Drive screw driver. Knowing the difference between Pozi-Drive and Philips makes a big difference.
© ECN Electrical Forums