ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 209 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Bill,
I get your drift.
I hate it when people use profane terms like this!!!!!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-21-2003).]

Z
The side of what?

[Linked Image]

G
I think that term originated in Vietnam as a way to describe someone who was green to combat.

A builder I work for,who is a Vietnam vet has used that term before as a term for someone who doesn't know his trade well.

When a job gets close to completion,he refers to it as being "short" the term used in Vietnam to describe how much time was left on your tour.

I've heard him say" I'm so short on this one I could trip over a dime".

Russell

N
Hello From South Dakota!!

Electrician, Father, and Husband 24/7 - 365.
Woodland Firefighter, fisherman, and craftsman.

Just a thought, but it may be that we all have the inherant knowledge to be "our brothers keeper", and "to care for the earth", and that is why we have so many firefights in this trade.

Jon

Jon Niemeyer
R
Husband of 1, Father of 2 young uns, Part time inspector of 2 towns, back up inspector of 1 town, try to put on the tools occasionally for small jobs to keep up on my skills and for the quick money. Other than husband & father it is all side stuff! I like to relax at the family cabin by the lake in Maine, with my family.
Rick

M
(with apologies to Bill...please delete if this is not appropriate here...)

I know this is not the right place for this, but...Has anyone heard or seen anything of Sparky66'WV (aka Virgil)? Haven't seen him around in a long time. I hope all is well with him!

Mike (mamills)

D
DougW Offline OP
Whoa...Lotta replies! Thanks to everybody for the feedback. It's nice to get background.

It does seem that there are a lot of FF's in this biz. I suppose that a lot of FF's were in the trades before they got "on the job". It's good to have the background about hw buildings are put together when they're in the process of coming apart!

I'm reminded of a story involving a telemarketer who called the house one evening, trying to sell vinyl siding for my brick tudor or some such...

Let the guy go through his intro, and stopped him, saying "thanks, but Im a firefighter"

The guy, a little flustered, said "well, that's great sir...we're proud that you're serving and protecting, and we finance anybody!"

"You've never dealt with a firefighter before, have you?"

"Uh, no"

"Mot of us work trades on the side. As an example, I'm an electrician on my days off. I work with two generals, three plumbers, two drywaller, four painters, a glazier, a painter, two roofers, and four carpenters. When we work for each other, if it's not for beers, we charge about ten bucks an hours and parts money."[ [Linked Image]]

"So, uh, you could probably beat any bid we could come up with"[ [Linked Image]]

"By a significant margin"

"Have a good evening" [ [Linked Image]]

J
Hi All, Great Topic

Plant Electrician for a local water company for the first 8 hours. Handling systems from 26,000v to 24v DC. Then operate my own Electrical Contracting / HVAC business the rest of the day.

Then I go into hubby mode with my wonderful and very understanding wife, then take care of the honey do list and play with my 2 little ones.

I would love to voulenteer to join the local Fire Department. As I'm sure you can see there is no time.

I really admire you FF's. I know I would be a great FF but I need to be a great dad first.

Living in NJ and with my wonderful bride staying home with the kids really puts a big burdon on the finances. Hence here I go back to work!! LOL!!

Just one note about the relationship between Electricians and FF's... I think it has a lot to do with the NFPA... I wonder if you will see a lot of sprinkler fitters also associated with the Fire Departments, Just a thought..

Have Fun Guys and Gals!!

Joe

E
I'm an electrical contractor 24/7, but if I get any "free time"... LOL, yeah right. I have to make that time, otherwise it wouldn't happen! My favorite pass time would have to be off-road driveing, be it in my lifted, big tired diesel one ton 4x4 truck, or out riding my 4-wheeler (atv) when I can. I do my best to give some time to comunity service when I can, I volenteer about a week every spring to a youth leadership group, and also try to educate others on responcible offroading.
ElectricWonder

I fish...Therefore I sometimes swear...S

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard