ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 169 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Nice!!!

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
Hmmm, virtually all the RVs I have seen (except the celebrity calibre busses) utilize 120 volt AC units. The RVs that are 120/240- 30A-50A simply use both legs separately to power all of the loads, including the AC units which are 120, . This way they can still use at least one of the AC units when only 30A is availabble.

Here in Arizona everyone wants a 30 amp hookup for storage so they can run the AC when loading/unloading and cleaning.

Last edited by BigB; 07/27/13 07:52 PM.
Cat Servant
That 30-A receptacle might LOOK like an older dryer pattern, but it's not. It's a non-NEMA pattern common to RV-hoohups, and is a 30-A, 120V receptacle.

There's usually a breaker protecting the receptacle. Most RV pedestals also tap off this 30-A circuit to feed a 15-A GFCI convenience receptacle.

You never have 240-V available.

For what the OP wants to do, he has two choices:
1) He can but an RV pedestal, and mount that in the locker; or,

2) He can mount the usual sub-panel, then use the available circuits to supply whatever circuits he wants. Sub-panel with GFCI breakers is the only way to protect a 30-A. 120-V circuit.

It's been my experience that you'll do better looking for RV parts at an RV place, than at the electrical supply house.

As for Greg's picture of the fuse-protected receptacle: Phooey on that! "S" adapters? Fuggadaboud it! Instead, get an Edison-base 15-A circuit breaker. UL-listed, distributed by Bussmann, find at Home Depot.

G
240.52 Edison-Base Fuseholders.
Fuseholders of the Edison-base type shall be installed only where they are made to accept Type S fuses by the use of adapters.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Greg - you have made the error so many make.

Your citation refers to FUSES, and the risk of over-FUSING, and has nothing to do with circuit breakers. Who sais the secion applies to everything with Edison bases? Maybe we need "S" adapters for light bulbs?

The definitive answer on this issue came when I raised it with the code panel- an their answer was that the section addressed fuses, and not circuit breakers.

I had proposed that 240.52 include language specifically mentioning Edison-base circuit breakers, and they saw no need. Put a breaker in, and now it's a "circuit breaker holder."

G
It does not say "fuse", it says "Fuse holder".
I will look at how that is wired (line to load, not line to neutral) and see it is clearly a fuse holder, not a lamp holder and apply that article.
There is also the listed use of the device in question.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Right. I tried that with the NEC code panel. They didn't buy it.

240.52's requirement for type "S" reducers applies only to fuses. It does not apply when breakers are used. That's the code panel reply, in rejecting my proposal.

Can't really trump their opinion.

G
We don't enforce the ROP, we enforce the code. The code says fuse holder and that is how that device is listed.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
OK, Let's take it to the next step:

You step in front of the judge and say "The text reads "X" and to me this means such-and-such."

The appellant then steps in front of the judge and says "here's what the guys who wrote the rule say it means."

How do you think the judge would rule?

Nor does the listing of the device preclude the use of Edison-base breakers in the holder. Be kind of silly, wouldn't it, for UL to specifically evaluate a breaker that was designed to replace a fuse, then say that their listing forbade its' use. I seriously doubt that UL refunded the testing fees to Mechanical Breakers (the actual manufacturer), as UL continues to collect label fees from them.

The use of an Edison-base breaker to replace a fuse is a perfectly legitimate action. 240.52 does NOT require the use of type "S" reducers for breakers, only for fuses. That's the take of the code panel. UL, by its' actions, seems to agree.

I've had this discussion before. That's why I made the proposal. The result was the code panel indicating that your understanding is plainly incorrect.

B
Originally Posted by gfretwell
240.52 Edison-Base Fuseholders.
Fuseholders of the Edison-base type shall be installed only where they are made to accept Type S fuses by the use of adapters.

I would have to agree with Greg, if you follow the wording exactly it says you may not install the fuseholder at all unless you are providing the adapter. Now the mini breakers will have to be made in "S" configurations.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard