ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 355 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Pardon me for being confused. George said two wire, Tesla came up with 18 conductors, I only can 'see' 12.

To me, a 2 wire is a hot & a neutral; ie: black & white. What did I miss?? (Besides a George Question)

It must be the engineer in me, but when I read two wire circuit EACH with its own neutral I see that as 3 wires and 6 of those make 18.

In either case, it's still 50%.

In a 2 wire circuit where one of those wires is a dedicated neutral will always need both wires counted as current carrying, so the outcome is the same regardless.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Thanks Vin, guess I was out in the sun to long the last couple of days.

50% it is.

John
S
Will stop here and wait for feedback.

-- Scott

an apt explaination of a slippery subject even the CMP's struggle to define Scott

methinks i should forward an rop to change it to noodle, t'would be far more appropos....

~S~

Last edited by sparky; 07/23/11 09:51 AM. Reason: no glasses, dammit!
Broom Pusher and

methinks i should forward an rop to change it to noodle, t'would be far more appropos....

"Noodle" would be a good definition, as it describes something specifically different per the "Build" of the item, rather than the Operation.

The "Build" in this case would be an active System Conductor, which is intentionally Grounded.

----------------------------------------------------

Per the OP, if the (6) Two-Wire Circuits, each with their own "Neutral" was intended to mean (6) 1 Phase 3 Wire Multiwire Circuits:
12 Ungrounded Conductors, 6 Grounded Common Conductors - total of 18 Conductors;
then the CCC's (Current Carrying Conductors) would be one of the following:

1. If the Multiwire Circuits are derived from a 1 Phase 3 Wire Transformer, then total CCC's would be 12,
  2. If the Multiwire Circuits are derived from a 3 Phase 4 Wire Wye, then total CCC's would be 18.

For example "A", there will be 18 Conductors total, but only 12 will carry the FULL LOAD AMPERES.
This example describes a "Balancing Neutral" - possibly a High-Wire Circus Act??? laugh rolleyes dunno

For example "B", there will be 18 Conductors, and all 18 will carry FULL LOAD AMPERES, per the connected Loads.
If Loads are Non-Linear and "Noisy", the Common Star Point Grounded Conductor will carry the highest Load Amperes, along with 2x the distorted Load Amperes.
Example "B" has no "Balancing Neutral High-Wire Circus Act"

-- Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
G
Scott- Thanks for your very detailed explanation of the problem. The OP was meant to convey that the circuits were not multi-wire. The contractor was somehow confused into thinking that he didn't need to count the neutrals as CCC's. I tried to explain it to him but to no avail. To add to what you were saying, The Delta system is the only system that you can run a Multi-wire circuit consisting of two phase wires on opposite phases and a common conductor and not have count the common (neutral) conductor as a CCC. If you have a Wye and you have a multi-wire circuit consisting of two phase wires and a common conductor you can't get away with that because of the phase relationship is not 180 degrees apart. Now if you have all three phase wires sharing a common neutral and it's not a linear load you still have to count the neutral as a CCC.

Boils down to the phase relationship.

Interestingly, if it's a Delta feeder or Service you might be able to not count the common conductor as a CCC but be aware you still count it for raceway fill.

Just another George question that went ballistic :))

Back to you Scott

Last edited by George Little; 07/24/11 11:36 PM.

George Little
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard