ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Obsaleet #201942 07/05/11 11:45 PM
S
I'm not posting as a curse against dish installers, however this was my experience today and it reminded me of what I've learned about business practices.

We had a satelite installed today. I wasn't home but this is how my wife described the installation.

His uniform shirt was on inside out. Apparently he only throws it on over his t shirt when he has to. He changed it while speaking to my wife.

He intentionally pointed out his identifying shirt and ID tag only while mentioning the customer satisfaction calland what they would be asking about.

Had is dog in the truck

Tye wraps and cluster of rg6 hanging around the tv.

He asked my wife "I don't want to go get my meter out of the truck so can you watch the signal meter on the tv and let me know where it is while I adjust the dish?"

"I'm supposed to do a 30min run through with the remote. I am not going to do that but when they call and ask tell them I did or they knock $50 of my rate"

The dish did get installed properly, however, my wife was uncomfortable with him there and if the kids hadn't been home she probably would have called me to come home. I understand that these guys install these all day, every day and all of them don't care about customer care. I understatnd that their primary concern isn't a call back, however at least be professional.

When I look at things that I have learned in my business, these are things that I have learned are wrong. Some of these have been listed previously. At the end of the day it is all about the customers and will they call you back. Be courteous, professional, and make sure the work is done right.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Obsaleet #201944 07/06/11 02:21 AM
G
How was the grounding?

I had to redo mine, chuck that 3' x 3/8" rod and the 10ga grounding conductor and put in a real ground rod and a decent sized conductor with an acorn, not the little spring clip they used.
That all had to be bonded to the house GES because he didn't even have a clue about that.

After all of that I re-tuned the antenna.

Greg Fretwell
Obsaleet #201952 07/06/11 02:47 PM
A great way to set up a business.....
"Be courteous, professional, and make sure the work is done right."

I recently had FIOS installed...no nightmare, a CWA installer & lineman combo. No issues or complaints.

Yes, Greg...he did the grounding & bonding 100% right.

John
Tesla #202748 08/25/11 08:15 AM
S
Originally Posted by Tesla
Hard for journeyman electricians to believe -- but skill of installation is virtually un-marketable.

The prospect base treats all licensed electricians as if they were but kernels of rice in the bag -- all the same.

And it follows suit , right on up the foodchain Tesla

the epithany that the powers that be , the many self serving orginizations and bureaucracies paying lip service to, instead of actively upholding the very lifeblood of our trade, was a turning point for me

~S~

Obsaleet #203482 10/02/11 08:27 PM
M
I think that the #1 thing I've learned is it what so much easier being a Journeyman when I just came in & installed & went home.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard