ECN Forum
Posted By: Obsaleet Learning - 06/05/11 05:25 PM
So what have you learned about business? What would you change/do differently now? Any regrets?

Ob
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Learning - 06/05/11 06:42 PM
I have to say, no regrets for anything past. Business is a learning experience from day one...'till the end. You can never 'know-it-all', and IMHO IF you think you do, you're wrong.

Changes? A few decissions over the years, I would prefer to have a 'second chance', but...impossible! Considered as learning experiences.

Posted By: Niko Re: Learning - 06/06/11 01:53 AM
First, I should have done better paper work and keep better track. But then i am not a paperwork kind of a guy.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Learning - 06/06/11 01:39 PM
I just wished that I had gotten into this field a little sooner than I did. The BA/FA installing helped me in my later years as an EC. Also wished I had gotten my AHJ lic. sooner. But over all, very happy with my decisions to date.
Posted By: sparky Re: Learning - 06/27/11 02:21 AM
how to put this?

well, let's just say that an electrician does not a biz man make

i had thought so once , that being the best one can be at what one does would be all one would need, and all else would simply fall into place

how utterly niave of me

thankfully, i'm over it...

~S~
Posted By: Tesla Re: Learning - 06/30/11 07:25 PM
Hard for journeyman electricians to believe -- but skill of installation is virtually un-marketable.

The prospect base treats all licensed electricians as if they were but kernels of rice in the bag -- all the same.

So it's a long road to establish superior street cred and consequent referrals.

Instead, contractors live and die by closing sales/ contracts / up-selling.

Contractors also have to sweat liquidity -- now more than ever.

The other heartbreak is the need to walk away from ruinous bids. It's better to sit than work at a clear loss.

Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Learning - 07/01/11 02:58 AM
Well said Tesla, it still amazes me how many people think being an electrician/contractor is easy. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard "I should of used you, it ended up costing about the same yet the quality is not there". I have even been brought in to make changes after final inspection. I've made more money then the original contract, doing repairs and corrections. Still frustrating.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Learning - 07/01/11 05:55 AM
My wife came into the "hospitality" (Running a gated community and country club) business from the construction business and she has proved many times over that using real contractors is cheaper than having a club "handyman" do it. Things are done right, on time, permitted/inspected and in the end cheaper.
There are a lot less problems down the road. It does help that she has guys who will work for golf games tho. smile
Posted By: bigpapa Re: Learning - 07/03/11 06:31 AM
This is specific to my experience and may not apply to all but I feel these are policies we have seen direct positive results from.

Here are some basic rules we swear by at our company. We usually remove employees that can't comply.

1) Ensure your quality is noticeably better than all others. I reject my own workers workmanship and make them redo. Everything must always be straight. Sometimes this can cost extra.

2) Ensure that your workers are clean and are polite and respectful of customers always. One bad opinion travels fast.

3) Make your safety efforts highly visible so your customer notices and feels at ease and always leave your worksite, unless it's someone elses responsibility, as clean as it was when you started.

4) Diversify your business to many sectors of the economy. Do not have only one type of customer. When they slow so do you. This is a big trap when you have only a few large customers especially GCs.

5) Have 6 months worth of cash in the bank (gold if you are in the US) on top of what you need to run your business and take your book keeping seriously. Everybody can save if they are disciplined. I do it by paying myself as the company owner no more than journeyman rate. The corporate profits almost always goes to savings or capital expenditures that will strengthen the company.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Learning - 07/03/11 06:34 AM
The #1 thing I would suggest is to return all calls promptly and be on time. Everything else comes after that.
Posted By: schenimann Re: Learning - 07/06/11 03:45 AM
I'm not posting as a curse against dish installers, however this was my experience today and it reminded me of what I've learned about business practices.

We had a satelite installed today. I wasn't home but this is how my wife described the installation.

His uniform shirt was on inside out. Apparently he only throws it on over his t shirt when he has to. He changed it while speaking to my wife.

He intentionally pointed out his identifying shirt and ID tag only while mentioning the customer satisfaction calland what they would be asking about.

Had is dog in the truck

Tye wraps and cluster of rg6 hanging around the tv.

He asked my wife "I don't want to go get my meter out of the truck so can you watch the signal meter on the tv and let me know where it is while I adjust the dish?"

"I'm supposed to do a 30min run through with the remote. I am not going to do that but when they call and ask tell them I did or they knock $50 of my rate"

The dish did get installed properly, however, my wife was uncomfortable with him there and if the kids hadn't been home she probably would have called me to come home. I understand that these guys install these all day, every day and all of them don't care about customer care. I understatnd that their primary concern isn't a call back, however at least be professional.

When I look at things that I have learned in my business, these are things that I have learned are wrong. Some of these have been listed previously. At the end of the day it is all about the customers and will they call you back. Be courteous, professional, and make sure the work is done right.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Learning - 07/06/11 06:21 AM
How was the grounding?

I had to redo mine, chuck that 3' x 3/8" rod and the 10ga grounding conductor and put in a real ground rod and a decent sized conductor with an acorn, not the little spring clip they used.
That all had to be bonded to the house GES because he didn't even have a clue about that.

After all of that I re-tuned the antenna.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Learning - 07/06/11 06:47 PM
A great way to set up a business.....
"Be courteous, professional, and make sure the work is done right."

I recently had FIOS installed...no nightmare, a CWA installer & lineman combo. No issues or complaints.

Yes, Greg...he did the grounding & bonding 100% right.

Posted By: sparky Re: Learning - 08/25/11 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tesla
Hard for journeyman electricians to believe -- but skill of installation is virtually un-marketable.

The prospect base treats all licensed electricians as if they were but kernels of rice in the bag -- all the same.

And it follows suit , right on up the foodchain Tesla

the epithany that the powers that be , the many self serving orginizations and bureaucracies paying lip service to, instead of actively upholding the very lifeblood of our trade, was a turning point for me

~S~

Posted By: mikethebull Re: Learning - 10/03/11 12:27 AM
I think that the #1 thing I've learned is it what so much easier being a Journeyman when I just came in & installed & went home.
© ECN Electrical Forums