ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 407 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Frank:
The breakaway padlocks we use are from WW Grainger
They are made by Master Lock
I'm not a web maven, but if you do a search you should find Master Lock.
Grainger has a site: Grainger.com
They are located nationwide, and there should be a branch near you.

3 in Pittsburg:
Park West Drive, Beta Drive and Liberty Ave.

I have phone numbers if you want them.
John

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 01-10-2003).]

John
B
"Frangible" and "breakaway" are essentially one in the same. Typically, a padlock with a (replaceable) frangible shackle can be "opened" with a standard-issue firefighter’s axe.

F
HotLine1-

I live in Pittsburgh and our Department has an account with Grainger. It should be easy to find. Thanks.

One other related question. I've seen large weather proof enclosures with hinge doors and padlock with service disconnect inside. Has anyone ever seen a set up like that?
The service disconnect is not padlocked in the on position but the enclosure covering it does have a padlock on it.

F
We had a similar problem at a factory with the A/C disconnects. We didn't want to lock them so we used a bolt and nylon insert lock nut. Anyone with pliers could get in but most casual vandals aren't equiped.

F

Frank:
Should have mentioned it in earlier post....
Yes, we have quite a few 3R switchboards &/or switchgear that are "locked".
The main disco is "inside" the gear, and the exterior doors are padlockable. A few have "tenant" meters and mains and are also locked. We usually supply the utility with a master key for the meter reader.

Also, PSE&G sometimes requests a "large" 3R enclosure for a meter can & "Room" for additional metering equipment, and that enclosure also is lockable.

John

John
F
John-

From what I've learned on this thread is that there are two possible viable options:

1. Padlockable 3R enclosures with service disconnect inside.

2. Breakaway padlocks installed on the service disconnect itself.

I work for Local Government and some of our facilities are located in inner City "bad" neighborhoods. Vandals think nothing of walking by and turning the service disconnect off.

Frank

M
Just a quick question... I've been in the business forever but I guess I have a hard time with some of your acronyms. What does "AHJ" mean? And, stop laughing at me 'cause I know what LOL means! [Linked Image]

H
As an AHJ ( Authority Having Jurisdiction) OR (A**hole having jurisdiction) take your pick. I would not have a problem with a lock. The breaker or fuse will protrct the electrical equipment. I would ask that the fire dept. get a copy of the key so that they can shut off it case of emergency.

M
Thanks Harold, I'd have never gussed that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard