ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Cat Servant
Correct - that's what I mean.

Hey ... if they didn't want 'hack work,' then why was I issued a 'hacksaw?' laugh

Hacksaws are to cut up hacks; No??

Thanks Reno...

John
HotLine1 #199215 02/16/11 09:35 PM
K
I think most all of us have probably openly prayed for the demise of #14 back stabs on resi grade receptacles and switches, yet it seems every manufacturer is on the band wagon to come out with all this new improved 3M ScotchLok and Wago style crap, for everything from ballast disconnects to device terminals.
Not being one to buck technological improvement, I have used the ones that come in the Halo RC cans before, but had a problem with a loose neutral connection that cost me additional time to track down and fix, so now I just snip those orange things off and use wirenuts. I feel the extra 10-seconds and .06 cents per wirenut are a small price to pay for solid reliability.

I see that P&S and Leviton both have their own quick wire devices, like Wago does, with those plug in harnesses. They sent me some free samples, but I don't think I will ever use them. Not to be overlooked, it seems all the modular homes come with those infamous Tyco stab connector blocks hanging down below the floor joists.

KJay #199220 02/16/11 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by KJay
I think most all of us have probably openly prayed for the demise of #14 back stabs on resi grade receptacles and switches, yet it seems every manufacturer is on the band wagon to come out with all this new improved 3M ScotchLok and Wago style crap, for everything from ballast disconnects to device terminals.
Not being one to buck technological improvement, I have used the ones that come in the Halo RC cans before, but had a problem with a loose neutral connection that cost me additional time to track down and fix, so now I just snip those orange things off and use wirenuts. I feel the extra 10-seconds and .06 cents per wirenut are a small price to pay for solid reliability.

I see that P&S and Leviton both have their own quick wire devices, like Wago does, with those plug in harnesses. They sent me some free samples, but I don't think I will ever use them. Not to be overlooked, it seems all the modular homes come with those infamous Tyco stab connector blocks hanging down below the floor joists.

Personally KJay,
I wouldn't even go with wire-nuts, if they were available here.
I don't like connections that only depend upon friction.
I'll use nothing less than a terminal connector that uses 1 or 2 screws that lock the wire(s) within the connector under screw (and often a "spreader plate") pressure.

As I said in my first post in this thread, you only need a bit of vibration or temperature increase to ruin one of these friction based connections.

From what I can see, this seems to be the "dumbing down" of electrical work, there is a certain amount of skill required to make a wire-nut joint up properly.
I can imagine these things being all over the DIY stores in a number of months and God help you guys when they do.

Is it just me or has a new way of making a flying splice just been invented? mad

Trumpy:
The flying splice hacks are going to be happy!

John
H
John,

I have seen splices inside of EMT before and with paddle fans. The issue with paddle fans is you have a short nipple that comes with the fan. Sometimes the wire is long enough for a slightly larger down rod. The problem comes in if you need a very long down rod and the wires aren't long enough to reach. Then I have seen where they have spliced inside the down rod.

G
Harold

I have seen that too but then the question becomes "is that down rod a raceway or just part of the fixture"?
It is not really part of the fixed building wire or a chapter 3 wiring method. It is "fixture wire".

310.15 says
Where the wiring method is conduit, tubing, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, Type MI cable, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, or other cables, a box or conduit body shall be installed at each conductor splice point, outlet point, switch point, junction point, termination point, or pull point, unless otherwise permitted in 300.15(A) through (M).

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

Did you mean 300.15 instead of 310.15?

H
Greg,

I forgot to mention that if the AHJ comes out for an inspection, how would he know if there was a splice inside that down rod? wink

G

Did you mean 300.15 instead of 310.15?

Yes, I hate it when that happens wink

I forgot to mention that if the AHJ comes out for an inspection, how would he know if there was a splice inside that down rod?

I am not sure that is a violation but I know what you mean about hidden violations.
We all have to trust our installers won't try to cheat and make it very painful when we catch them don't we.
I got paid by the hour and I could stand there and watch him take his whole installation apart if I thought he was cheating. Inspectors don't have a lot of power but we can get a builder where it hurts the most. We can take his time.

Greg Fretwell
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard