ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 421 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
This has apparently been in effect since April of this year.
The EPA recently announced a temporary extension of the certification requirement to allow more time for firms and individuals to get certified, but they say they are still enforcing the work practice part of the RRP, so technically you can still get fines for not following them.
I don’t know how likely it is that the EPA will have enough enforcement officials in the field anytime soon, but I’m sure they will probably be looking for a few individuals to make examples out of, so as to scare everyone else into compliance.

Here is a link to the RRP.
RRP

I guess it only makes sense that the EPA would add additional regulation during the worst economic recession in the history of the country…. And to the last sector of the construction market that is still alive in many areas, that being residential remodels.
Another thing that baffles me is how they estimate that the average cost per job will only be around $35.00.
I don't see how when you count the HEPA vac, plastic film, masking tape, dust wipes, labor involved for set up, maintaining the site, cleanup at completion and any disposal fees for all the new trash generated, that will no doubt end up in a landfill and in our drinking water supply anyway.
I’ll bet your glad these clowns don’t work in your estimating department.

KJay #194864 06/28/10 01:57 PM
G
They are creating FEDERAL employment. Most of the job growth we hear about in those rosy reports in in government. Contractors are still mowing lawns around here to get by.

Greg Fretwell
S
I’ll bet your glad these clowns don’t work in your estimating department.

lord no KJay

just copped a bid on an old public building rewire, they want the {evil spawn of satan} K&T gone

thing is, it's 18 century vintage, so i gotta call in a lead certified contractor as a CYA, the lead issue hass assumed enough windage that even the customer is asking...

i guess it's for the best , we're all suppose to be green (or wear propellor beanies???) but i just don't appreciate this iron fist approach while BP (and the even more evil MMS) can get away with envirocide

~S~

H
John,

I just heard from an ex-plumbing inspector that the local heath dept's were going to enforce this new law. I will keep my ears open to see if I hear more info.

H
Another thought, I can just see one contractor turning in another contractor because he lost the bid to the second guy. So the first contractor will drop a dime to the EPA or whoever and tell them that the #2 GC is not certified. That will be one way to get back at him for taking the job away. What do you think?

Cat Servant
The abuse of power will always be in the 'right' hands.

I spent a year in business for myself, and failed. While the reasons for my failure are still being evaluated, one major factor was the costs of governmental compliance.

Lead certification; Asbestos certification; EPA (Freon) certification; multiple licenses; PPE certifications; etc. Every month I was losing $500+ to some manner of fee (and the various seminars, tests, etc. mandated by those agencies). With most of these things having a lifespan of less than three years, there's not any chance to spread the cost over time, either.

I do not see ANY role for the local Health Dept in enforcing the EPA rules .... indeed, it seems that such involvement is not allowed by our Constitution.

Traditional Jews recite a daily prayer called the "18 Benedictions." Oddly enough there are 19 benedictions in it.

#19 was added at the time of the Inquisition, and says "For the informer, let there be no hope." That's the path we're headed down- a road to Hell, paved with good intentions.

G
Harold, the way I read it, unless your Health department seeks and receives certification from EPA they are not allowed to enforce this law. I suppose you could write a local ordinance that mimics the federal statute and enforce that.

Greg Fretwell
S
#19 was added at the time of the Inquisition, and says "For the informer, let there be no hope." That's the path we're headed down- a road to Hell, paved with good intentions.

we , here in the USA , have one of the lowest ratio's of small biz's (and don't be fooled by SBA standards, let's talk mom & pop shops) in the world , mostly due to federalization

perhaps the tenther's have a point

~S~

Guys ...... I can see this thread is getting too far off topic.

The original question was about lead certifications.

Let's get back on track.

Cat Servant
That said, I have two questions for the audience:

1) Are you lead certified?; and,

2) What was your total expense to get certified ... EPA fee, seminar fee, travel and lost income expense, materials and equipment you've had to buy? What's the 'bottom line?'

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard