ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 464 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#14299 09/19/02 12:06 PM
M
Virgil:
Thanks for the extra pix. Will be interested in seeing what you do to rehab the light fixtures. Kinduva unique perspective, seeing three generations of electric service like that, also.

Is that a bundle of NM's snaking up the wall from the 1970's vintage equipment?

Mike (mamills)

#14300 09/19/02 04:14 PM
Tom Offline
Virgil,

You get full marks on this one (except from the French judge, but you know how that goes).

The only two points I can think of- I can't make out if the bonding screw/strap is installed and we'll presume that there are no metal water lines in this building.

Extra credit for the little straps on the grounding electrode conductor (250.64(B)), often overlooked.

If the two items I mentioned are in fact taken care of, I'd have no problem passing this one (I know you're 3 feet from the windows)

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#14301 09/19/02 08:11 PM
E
Looks good! I am wondering about the service panel on the outside. No basement? I also would use pvc to protect the gec. I would not use the mini's for clips mainly to prevent future unsightly rust issues! If the inspector has a problem with this one perhaps there is an old safe hidden in the building that might "accidently" fall off the roof! Always works in cartoons. Wait just thought of something. How many ground rods are installed ? Are they (it) below finished grade? The 15 amp receptacle is fine on a twenty amp breaker as it is NOT a single receptacle as defined by the NEC, it is a "multiple receptacle".

#14302 09/19/02 09:03 PM
W
Sparky,
looks great to me! One thing we are required to use here in the meter can are grounding locknuts. Could that be an issue for you? Do they even make a sealing grounding locknut?
Wirewiz

#14303 09/19/02 09:35 PM
C
Since he is using PVC I think the grounding locknuts would be useless.

Curt Swartz
#14304 09/19/02 09:44 PM
S
Virgil,
are you using mini's on a pvc or metal riser there ?, i can't tell but it looks like pvc......

#14305 09/19/02 10:21 PM
Wow!

Mike, You guessed it! Old NM bundled with friction tape. It will all be ripped out, as far as I know, and I plan to put a 100A sub panel upstairs for the apartment, if I'm given my choice.

Tom, you should barely be able to make out the bonding screw just below the termination of the GEC. Yep, about 6 UV rated straps at $0.35 each from TruValue... But they make for a nice install... Heck, putting the GEC in PVC would be cheaper! (Joe, I'm sold!) My supplier only had BX straps as the closest thing they can suggest for strapping the GEC! There may be old water line in the building, but their intention is to rip it all out a start anew with either PVC or the new plastic tubing, so I didn't bother bonding it. But you make a good point!

Electricmanscott, The 3R panel is actually a feed through disco, so a 200A panel can still go into the building and some circuits, like the subfeed for the apartment, will be connected to the disco's bus via properly sized CBs.

2 Ground rods, plumb, flush, with the tops exposed for verification. 4' away from edge of building, 6' apart, one continuous #4 bare GEC buried 6".

Sparky, I had wondered about the bonding issues with the min-Es on PVC (it is PVC). What do you think? Similar concern is if a "pipe hanger" can support conduit vertically.

Wirewiz and Caselec, Are the locknuts themselves the bonding issue regardless of the PVC? Wirewiz may have a good point!

Any more? C'mon! Don't be shy! The more the merrier! You're chance to be the "impossible" inspector without hurting anyone's feelings!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-19-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#14306 09/19/02 10:34 PM
W
Sparky66wv, It was the case of the locknuts themselves, I had a pvc feeder!
Wirewiz

#14307 09/19/02 10:43 PM
S
Here in south TX , I would get failed PDQ for not having the gec come from meter can to main panel. Neutral cannot be means of bonding.It seems they are concerned with losing a neutral at the service entrance. It must be continuous from meter can , through the ground bar in main panel, then to ground rod. gec MUST NOT be spliced or tapped. I will get a pic of the temporary pole I just set up that has this system. I will have to find me a pic hosting service (free hopefully) Because I would like feedback on my installations [Linked Image]
That is a clean install, I like the straps, I may begin that habit myself:0

[This message has been edited by Sean WB (edited 09-19-2002).]

I did not get as think so badly as you shocked I did.
#14308 09/19/02 10:44 PM
I forgot to make clear that this inspection has already passed, but I'm using it as an example to see what I may need to plan for on the next one.

Wirewiz, my first thought was the same as caselec, then I thought about it for a moment!

Sean, I wish we could connect the GEC at that point. Our underground cans even have provisions for the GEC but we're not allowed to use them!

Tom, do you know the rationale behind this?

You folks are great! Thanks a bunch!

(Am I sadistic {or is that masochistic?} or what?!?!)

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-19-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard