ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 433 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
The old BS546 (15A) plugs were absolutely gigantic too. Porceline round and either black or white.

They've gotten better now though...they look sort of like triangles with three monstrous pins sticking out of them.

Maybe they made them that big because the designers wanted to be SURE that the insides were going to be properly insulated? [Linked Image]

P
I think I have a couple of those old BS546 round plugs somewhere in my junk boxes.

I've also seen one which was a peculiar design: The triangular shape as Sven described, but with a large bulbous top cover.

D
djk Offline
Sven:

They're a prime example of over-engineering at its best!

Certainly wouldn't have had an over-heating problem!

Paul:

There's an unusual BS1363 plug knocking around here somewhere too. Very old but has an integrated switch on the top!

Made by MK.

Pretty bulky sticks out of the wall quite a bit.

Was used on an old iron.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 10-15-2003).]

T
Schuko plugs with switches also exist. Old ones even had a rotary switch. I remember one being used on a very old tumble dryer. I use one on a short extension cord to kill power to plug pack transformers without having to unplug them. Due to the fact they're angle plugs they're actually quite small.

P
Yes, I remember the switched MK plugs, although it's been a while since I've seen one.

As I recall, the extra layer of switch and connections appears as almost an insert between the plug base and top, making the whole thing about a quarter-inch deeper. Considering the widespread use of switched outlets, at least in domestic work, it's not surprising that switched plugs never really caught on.

I think MK did a version with both switch and a neon indicator light on the front as well.

S
I have a couple of BS-546 5-amp plugs with switches on the top -- and with neon indicator lights!!

A coworker in our Hong Kong office picked them up for me. [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard