ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 196 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
B
"Funny thing: When I use Google to search for information on electricity in strange countries, this thread is always among the results."

I think it's got to do with the links of the pictures, which are from maplin and castorama. Two "popular" (for google) sites

W
I have a few old Hubbell made duplex
outlets that look a lot like the
Australian 3 prong power plug. As
far as I can tell, the pin-out matches
as well (ground pin matches).

C
I actually have them, and use them for DC power on occasion.

Y
"Mexico has a national electric code similar to the NEC: I've seen a document from the NFPA (I think) where it was considered possible to create a common Canadian-US-Mexican code out of the present codes. Therefore, it can't be very different."

I have heard this to be true, but if it is, enforcement is very spotty, to say the least. The cities usually have 120/208 3phase distribution, and individual houses and small businesses usually have 120V 30A service. Exposed knife switches are still frequently seen, fused neutrals remain very common, conduits are usually discontinuous and grounds frequently nonexistent. I've seen open meter sockets with jumpers in them, disconnects with doors open and aluminum foil jammed into the fuseholders.

The most common wiring method is something that looks like zip cord. It is white and has two 12 AWG solid conductors. "Conduits" are sometimes made by coating a piece of water hose with lard and embedding it in concrete. Once the concrete hardens, the greased hose is pulled out and reused. Receptacles are NEMA 5-15 and 1-15, but some houses and most public markets have no receptacles. You will see two wires, spliced with or without tape, wrapped through the holes in the exposed blades of a 1-15 plug.

The maquiladoras (Free-trade zone factories)appear to be wired to North American code standards, as far as I could tell from the window of a passing bus. I have heard that IBEW electricians wishing to work in Mexican industrial plants may apply at the El Paso local.

I have also heard that in some locations, the nominal voltage is 127V.

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
The most common wiring method is something that looks like zip cord. It is white and has two 12 AWG solid conductors.

Sounds similar to Romex (NM cable)...

Also...considering that almost all our end-user residential wiring devices (plugs, connectors and wall receptacles) are now made in Mexico, you think they're cheaper there than here.

So there really isn't any excuse for people to wrap wires around plug pins. Except stinginess and laziness. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 02-21-2003).]

P
Hi there yaktx, and welcome to ECN.

I have also heard that in some locations, the nominal voltage is 127V
A 3-phase wye system at 127/220V was common is many parts of Europe before standardization at the higher voltages. I know that similar systems are still used in some South American countries.

C
Wiring in Hong Kong
Same as UK http://www.emsd.gov.hk/emsd/eng/pps/electricity_new_3/index.shtml

Wiring in China
3 phase:
L1-Yellow L2-Green L3-Red N-Light blue

Meter box #1 Meter box #2 (Eletricity Co's property)

Distribution box-Old(1 circuit only)
[Linked Image from 210.59.230.130]
Main Switch-RCBO

[This message has been edited by Cn_HK (edited 10-24-2004).]

C
Modern(at least 6 circuits) Manufacturer
Main Switch-RCD-MCBs

Wiring arrangement
Ridial,L-Red(usually) or other color,N-Light blue,E-Yellow/Green
Kitchen, Air-con Min. 4mm2
Socket Min. 2.5mm2
Lighting Min. 1.5mm2

Distance recommendation above floor:
Conduit embedded in wall Socket:>0.3m , Switch:1.2-1.4m
Trunking on surafce Socket:>1.8m

Conduit & fitting
[Linked Image from 210.245.160.38]
Trunking
Mounting Box,Socket & switch (Same size as the UK one)
BOX 10A 16A 25A,3 phase

[This message has been edited by Cn_HK (edited 10-24-2004).]

D
djk Offline
It looks like China's actually adopted a very sensible system. The Aus/NZ standard's simple and effective. I guess that HK will eventually phase out the current BS1363 system as china phases out the various systems that have been in use there including 220V sockets in the 110V NEMA configuration.

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Thanks CN_hk for those pictures and information. [Linked Image]

I wonder why China uses American-type plugs for Class II appliances on 220 volts? I wonder if it's because since they make the majority of appliances and other small electrical products sold here.

Taiwan uses American sockets, but they're on a 110 volt/60 hertz system like the USA.

My friend Brenda in Rep. of Korea sent me a Korean outlet. It's a two round-hole socket, designed to fit in an American style box. However the terminals are "back-stab" push-in. No screw terminals of any type. [Linked Image]

I was tempted to ask her to pick me up a bunch more to actually install, but changed my mind when I saw the type of terminations because that's like asking for a fire-hazard.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard