Most anything can be misused. The lazy, ill equipped, and incompetent are also quite clever in justifying their actions.

I don't like square boxes with double duplexes hanging from cords. I surely don't like cords looping over the equipment, through the lights, and across the machinery. And, even a proper cord drop that is directly connected to the machine causes me concern.

As I see it, a cord drop ought to drop straight down and end at a cord cap, for a single plug, with very few exceptions. If it's there for general convenience, it probably ought to come from a retracting reel.

We have to protect our stuff from mechanical damage. HOW we do that is a design issue. I agree that a 'hard-wired' cord offers no advantage over flex or EMT.
Yet, this forum has several pics of damaged pipe, even RMC. Cord and plug connections can be a better solution, 'giving' rather than 'breaking.'

I disagree about the plug belonging on the ceiling, though. Usually that is out of reach- so much for a disconnect meand. The entire weight of the cord is held by the plug- and a twist-lock isn't so likely to pull free when you want. I prefer the cord to end at a cap (female plug) just above head level, in a straight blade pattern.

As for "immobile" equipment, it is surprising just how often those machines have major parts (like dies) removed for product runs. Cranes, forks, hoists.... swinging panels, etc.... sometimes that ever-loving drop can't avoid being in the way.

I call it a design issue.