Let’s get back to the original question. Joe, if you are asking if the NEC applies to maintenance activities – absolutely. The rules of the code address individual tasks – not job descriptions. Chapter 26 of NFPA 70B clearly references NFPA 70E.
70B Committee falls under the auspices of and reports directly to the NEC Correlating Committee.

An example of one maintenance activity listed in 70B requiring use of the NEC:

“19-3.13.2 Adequate Static Grounding.
… However, where a conductor used for static grounding is also the equipment
grounding conductor for a power circuit, the conductor should be sized in accordance with Table 250-95 of NFPA 70, National Electrical Code (changed to Table 250-122 for the 1999 NEC).”

So, if I am a maintenance person working a maintenance work request in accordance with NFPA 70B and am about to install a conductor for static grounding that also is used as the EGC, do the rules of the NEC apply? Of course they do. The maintenance standard says so.

If I am not to follow the NEC when I perform many electrical maintenance activities from adjusting overloads to replacing faulty receptacles, then someone please provide me a better reference to follow to ensure my facility will be safe. The NEC is the only reference for many electrical maintenance activities.