Thanks for all the conversation fellas!

Let me throw in a few more details...I don't think they change anything.

The house sits 1000' off the roadway out in the boonies. Always wanted to build a log home out in the woods...I have the woods, the house is stick framed with log siding, hence the workshop idea initially (my kids will be too old I figure when I can afford to build what I want, so I best do something now!)

Anyways, I have a transformer sitting in the woods on a vault...from there the secondary service runs about 100' to a 6x6 (treated, so it's built! LOL) and plywood "panel". There's the meter, then a outdoor passthru panel. A 200A main breaker in that panel serves as the disconnect. From there, I ran the 3 wire feeder into the house (workshop). The idea was someday when I built the house, the "temporary" pole would be moved presumably into the real log house.

It was my understanding that I need only run the 3 wires into the workshop and treat it as the main panel, hence the 3 wire.

OK, there's no cable service out in the boonies...but Direct TV works just great (satellite).

There is a phone line that is in separate conduit down to the roadway...and the plan is indeed to mount the NIC (i think that's what it is called) on that same 6x6 pole.

That may change things...as it is a conductor...

If I ran the service straight from the transformer to the house (workshop), then I'd not have the disconnect on the pole, and I'd be just fine.

Everything is on and energized...I past my rough wire inspection with no questions.

BUT, I am uncertain as to whether the inspector really understands how things are. I told him I only ran 3 wires in and had ground rods at the panel in the house.

I don't care much about inspectors per se, I care about saftey. If there's a compelling safety reason to dig and run the fourth ground wire, I'm willing to pony up the cash and just do it. Yuck. If it is OK as is, then I'd obviously prefer to not sink in the cash.

Guess I should just get on the horn with the inspector and ask him specifically. But I do want to understand all that I can...and I'm not the type to listen to just one source. You folks are wonderful in all our your discussion, help, and information.

Thank you!