Well, I wired the box with the grounds and neutrals isolated...but the bonding screw is in...and the ground rods are too.

If I have to dig and put in the 4th wire...then I remove the bonding screw and I am done. Viola.

If I can wire as a normal panel, than I am OK.

Is there a difference in safety? It seems to me, since there is no other possible conduction pathway from the main disconnect

(on a pole, 170' away, where someday I thought I'd build the real house, but live in the workshop for a few years first...but the workshop has become a mighty fine house over the past couple years...LOL)

then it seems that wiring as the "primary" panel is just fine. If there was another pathway, such as within the same structure, or metal water pipes, etc. then THAT changes everything.

I could never understand why I needed te subpanel...but now I think I do...and since I have no other electrical connections....I think I'm OK.

But the inspector will make the final say. I don't want to try and show him the NEC book and "force" my way. Not at all.

I never realized ground rods were more of a safety cushion...but now I understand. If their resistance is that high...they won't do much against the 120 fault...but a boatload against 4800KV!

Thanks folks.