Bill I agree with you that there are many more areas that should require GFCIs.

I recently did a daycare facility and was surprised to find no requirement for GFCIs at the numerous sinks for diaper changing areas.

The baby could very well be undressed on a wet counter with their feet in a stainless sink and reach receptacles that did not have to be GFCI.

We tried to have the engineer delete them as we could not see a purpose for the outlets but we failed at that, we did use GFCIs here by choice.

As for the refrigerators, and this is just my opinion for what it worth.

In a dwelling and if truly a grounded outlet I do not see much to be gained by a using GFCI.

But if it is an old house with a two wire feed to the fridge I would think that using a GFCI here would increase the level of safety in a meaningful way, with no equipment ground at the refrigerator there should be no false tripping.

In commercial kitchens having seen the beating the cords of the equipment take, often ripped and torn at the connectors from moving the equipment daily for cleaning chores and also taking into account the equipment is often sitting on grounded metal counters but isloated on rubber or plastic feet I think GFCIs will be a great addition to safety.

Sorry for the long rant, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts