Many thanks to Joe T. and George C. for sending me various and sundry torque specs as I requested... Great! I've got the tools and the specs, now I need the "theory" to back me up...

Let me ask a few Q's to let you know what I'm looking for now:

If/when the inspector or any other "authority" has the opinion that torquing to specs isn't tight enough, and claims that the terminals loosen up anyway, and later need re-tightened (read: retorqued)... What the heck do you say to them?

What happens to properly torqued lugs over time (Especially with Aluminum Conductors)?

What happens to an over-torqued lugs over time as compared to properly torqued lugs?

What happens to re-torqued lugs over time as compared to properly torqued lugs?

What happens to under-torqued lugs over time as compared to properly torqued lugs?

When I'm out in the field trying to give my viewpoint to those who disagree, I tend to give the impression that I'm "hung-up on code" to the point of being unproductive, but yet when I'm here on ECN, I have the feeling that I'm on the other end of the spectrum as a jack-leg weekend-warrior compared to you "heavy cats" (musical term, it's a compliment...).

[Linked Image]

Either George or Watt Doc, or somebody here once said: "The problem with electricity is that it almost always works."

Boy, is that ever right.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI