So, now I've had my torque screwdriver for a couple of services, and a torque wrench too.

The service I put in last week was the first I had installed "properly" using the torque specs listed in the panels and on the CB's. I have been over-tightening the lugs (250 in-lbs), busses and breakers (20 to 30 in-lbs), and probably not getting the EGC and range wire neutral tight enough on the bus (35 in-lbs).

However, upon inspection, the inspector breaks out his 3/8" allen wrench and procedes to tighten my work another quarter of a turn!

Plus he said that he likes to see the slots and edges buggered-up so he can tell I got 'em tight enough. I explained that I had torqued them to specs, (and had spent $130 on a screwdriver and $85 on a wrench so I could) and I didn't really think it was good to retorque terminals. (You'd eventually cut them in two, wouldn't you?)...

After a glare or two, he replied "they loosen up anyway..."

And I left it at that.

At least this inspector quoted 250.66 to let me know that I "could've" used #6 for the EGC instead of #4 if I had wanted.

Monday I have another inspection with another inspector.

How do I convince him that "I've torqued to specs and please don't touch my work" in a nice way?

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI