After 4 calls, i have found one supplier that has a 2 wk lead time on an AFIT, they are around $60.
GE carriers were stumped ( and so was I ) as to a part #
Having been on this 'AFIT' quest now for a few weeks, The 'supplier' feedback has usually been fuzzy. Basically a supplier will not stock what is not frequently sold
( niether will I )
The manufacture's follow suit here.
Either party has had a good laugh at state's ammending codes to require a widget barely on the market. ( @ our expense...)
The other day I installed 13 AFCI's , doubling the expense of a panel upgrade.
My point is WE in the field have to justify any expense that appears as such a quantum leap in one code cycle.
Fred Flinstone will ultimatly trade notes with Barney next door , who in 98' did not pitch double for a like job, and the onus will be on the contractor.
While I'll agree with the concept's validity of AFCI protection , the specifics, stat's , and details remain fuzzy.
Even Dave Dini is responding in a 'Politically Correct' manner
(Note i'll leave out his CMP status...)
Testimonial and advocation from safety or regulating orginizations unfortunatly have little impact in the field, and the average Fred or Barney in my experience holds the contractor responsible as to performance.
All I can say is, if your not into the 02' yet, prepare yourself for public scrutiny here, it's a bear! [Linked Image]
IMO, the manufacture's should back this product 100%, no questions asked. If this is the 'glorified widget' of the electrical trade, there should be an iron clad gaurantee included that I as a contractor can pass onto my customers.

Put yer $$$$ where your marketing hype is please.