Brendan,
Even though I'm still not convinced that AFCIs will do what we've been told that they will do, I don't have a problem with the new construction requirement. The problem is in the areas where the AFCI requirement is being enforced on service panel changes. In these cases, if there is multiwire branch circuits, the contractor is limited to one manufacturer and I don't believe a code is legally permitted to require the installation of a product made by only one manufacturer.
Also based on the 2002 code wording, I'm not sure if the rule is enforceable anywhere. I know the intent, but the rule only requires protection for 125 volt rated "outlets". Outlets don't have a voltage rating. The "outlet" point on the wiring system where the receptacle is connected or the light fixture is connected. This needs some wording changes for the 2005 code, then again, maybe enough people will figure out that the AFCI requirement was put into the code based on "Enron" type statistics and the requirement will be deleted.

PS: good to see you back in the forum.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)