Originally posted by Dspark:
[b] I use the PA one-call system, when required,
What do you mean "when required"?
If you are disturbing the earth, which by law (Act 287 includes drilling, driving-in, scraping, and trenching), then by law you are required to place the notification at least three working days in advance.

Is your view that your equipment is not "powered"? Does an 8' steel rod being driven by a sledge hammer fall into the exemption for excavation with hand tools? Perhaps it's a grey area. I hope it is exempt; but I treat it like it is required unless I am sure of the facilities myself, such as a recently expired marking.

When I call in I just say I'm driving grounding electrodes to a depth of 100". No one has ever argued with me that I don't need to place a dig notification for that. (Are you just using hand tools for that, sir?)

It costs nothing to have facilities marked. It could cost a lot if you damage something when you could have called instead.

Anyone who is worried about hitting something knows he should have made the telephone call.[/B]

I have no problem using One Call for a ground rod. I would think, however, that it may burden the system if every time someone drove a ground rod, One Call got involved. Maybe I'm wrong. I will call them to get their take on it. But, last time I called, which was to dig a trench for 120 volt landscape lighting, they DID ask if I was using "powered" equipment. (I was).