A couple of thoughts here, guys. I feel for virgil, since I too have had my bad rod days.

In all the books about grounding, it shows concentric rings around the rod, largest at the top, smallest at the bottom. If you bend the rod, you take away the rings from that section, because the rings now overlap. This reduces the effectivness of the rod. This is the reason for not installing two rods within 6-8' of each other.

A 1" hole 100" deep, filled with concrete is not a concrete encased electrode. It is a rod covered by concrete. And isn't the rod suppossed to be in direct contact with "soil"? Look at 250-50(c) for the requirements for a concrete-encased electrode (covered by 2" of concrete, located within or near the bottom of a foundation, etc...)

Hopefully this grounding electrode that you are installing is for the service only, and not for the mobile home. You do not install an electrode at the home.

I agree with the others that a rod is almost useless, so why sweat it? Rod won't go straight down, try 45 degrees. Still won't go, lay in trench. Can't get a 2' trench? Then you are going to have other problems than your ground rod install, such as burial depth of the feeder, tie downs for the home, etc..

If this service is built on a pole that the utility has installed, just attach to the pole ground that they put in, which is probably a butt ground. Use irreversible crimps.

Other than this, I'm afraid I can't give you anymore ideas.

Rick Miell