There are a bunch of extremes we deal with. About two years ago I worked at a plywood mill that was on the edge of bankruptcy. To shut down the line was a big deal and cost a lot of production. Like the other electricians there I just "did what I had to". Understand, this is a very depressed area and jobs are very hard to find. But some things did not need to be worked "hot" and I had to show the "safety" guy the applicable regs to get this stopped. The mill did shut down and the next job was the extreme in the other direction. This was at a well known and large computer makers facility [746 thousand square feet], and a maintenance worker had been killed doing hot work on 277 lights a few years before. To even change tubes they required a licensed journeyman and the power had to be off. I was the only electrician there and ran my butt off trying to keep up. Not counting the logistics of not putting people in the dark in an office setting. Extreme examples of why we see things differently.
Don