Curt,
I think you meant to say, "I would rather (NOT) make that call if I don’t have too."

I completely understand! Its a tough call to make. Relationships can sour after that. Not to metion all of the whipering... "Isn't that the guy who called OSHA on whats-his-face?"

CalOSHA can be a bit extreme in enforcement after an accident. I was on a job years ago that had a lot of really crazy things happening on it. And just so happens one of thier offices was right next-door in Berkley. A storm came in and knocked 5 stories of (un-tied) scaffolding off the job in thier parking lot, and an Avis rent a car lot too. They had the whole office out there in hard-hats and note-pads for weeks. It was a circus field trip for them.
There were some light fines, of the wrist slap variety, and long lectures to the GC's and subs. But considering, not that bad.

How-ever, if there had been a death involved, they go after people like pack of rotwiellers. Seek criminal prosicution etc. NOT funny! Something to remind these people about... They can be held criminally responcable if someone gets electricuted. And as "Electrician" and/or resident expert on-site about electrical hazards, I would not be caught within site of that place until it gets corrected.

CalOSHA do have an interesting "Consultation" Program you might want to read up on. You call for an appointment for an "On-Site Evaluation", and they come outand see this operation with people having lunch with HV lines at eye-level. They write you a little report card that says WTF! And they can't do anything, (Like fine you) as you called them for a "Consultation". But the site of the CalOSHA logo would certainly shape a few people up I think.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/consDSL.ram

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason