One of the GC’s we work for was hired to manage the construction of a new 6000’ single family dwelling but the homeowner is hiring the subs. The new dwelling in being constructed underneath existing 12kv lines and we are in the process of installing the underground substructures to relocate the lines. Today I stopped by the project to find that the framers have started putting the roof together which is a few feet below the lines. They cut pieces of yellow caution tape and tied them to the bare lines so they would not run into them. I told the general that I can’t believe that whoever tied the tape to the lines was still alive and construction of the roof needs to stop. He said he has told the framing crew and the homeowner that work needs to stop around these lines but they don’t see the problem and don’t want to delay construction. I don’t have any control over this work but if someone gets killed I will probably feel that I didn’t do enough to prevent the accident. The general said he was going to talk to the owner again tonight but if he refuses to stop this construction I’m going to call the utility tomorrow morning. I’m not even sure what the utility can do to stop the work and they can’t de-energize the lines since they feed many other customers.

Curt Swartz